Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Adjacent car door opens and hits you ... best practices?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adjacent car door opens and hits you ... best practices?

Whenever I park I select a space at the end (if available) so I have one neighbor instead of two and I park as far away from the adjacent space as possible.

Today a large pickup pulls up next to me and the passenger opens the door and hits my car while I'm on the phone. I get out to look and can't see any damage to the paint. I get back in my car shaking my head and the two then drive off as if they've achieved something.

The question is "what if?"

In other words, if I see someone ding my car, it's not really an "accident"/"fender bender" per se but if a chip of paint comes off (or worse), then what? exchange insurance info et al ... ?

Anyone been in that situation and if so how did you handle it and what was the outcome?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:22 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,426 Likes on 2,699 Posts

they do sell a pad that is held up by the top of the door when closed and protects the door from door dings.
the problem is there are too many jealous or ignorant ass_oles around and i am sure they would go out of their way to try and ding the door if they saw the door pad hanging on the car.

i filed a claim with insurance when my 2003 E320 was slightly hit/scraped on the rear bumper while someone was parking their car on the street. its considered a "hit and run". had to fill out the paperwork and get a police report# but insurance covered it
Old 01-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 01-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

Someone did that to my Audi once. Some fat **** got out of his car, opened his door right into my car (causing a dent and chipping the paint) and then looked at me as I walking up to the car and said "oops" and walked away like it was no big deal.

I kicked his door in.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:00 PM
tbanasiak
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My solution is park far far away and if I need to park close or am gonna be concerned about dings I take another car instead.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wait, this d-bag parked next to you to intentionally ding your door, then just pulled away? I'd get the plate number and call the cops for vandalism.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

I would be pissed man! I would check the damage out, and usually there is just a slight ding depending on how hard they hit you of course. But usually it's a small ding. I would collect $100 cash from them on the spot. If there is paint damage, I file a report, I would never let that fly.

I would abduct the person if they decide not to pay. That's where all my years of boxing pays off.

That's the only time when owning a Porsche becomes annoying.... Parking. It's such a calculated process for me.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:00 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like fun
http://www.doorshox.com/car-door-protectors.htm
Old 01-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Happened to me in my brand new Jag a few years ago. Parked far away and as I was getting something out of my trunk, a pickup pulled up next to me and the passenger got out of the side closest to me and literally fell out of the truck causing his door to slam into mine. They started walking into the store like nothing had happened. I called out to them, "Gentlemen, how do you want to handle this?" as I pointed to my new door ding. All was good as we exchanged info. His insurance took care of it.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:36 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

I always do a walk-around before driving off... if there is a dent/ding and the paint matches, they typically get a size 12 in the side of the door...
Old 01-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
Whenever I park I select a space at the end (if available) so I have one neighbor instead of two and I park as far away from the adjacent space as possible.

Today a large pickup pulls up next to me and the passenger opens the door and hits my car while I'm on the phone. I get out to look and can't see any damage to the paint. I get back in my car shaking my head and the two then drive off as if they've achieved something.

The question is "what if?"

In other words, if I see someone ding my car, it's not really an "accident"/"fender bender" per se but if a chip of paint comes off (or worse), then what? exchange insurance info et al ... ?

Anyone been in that situation and if so how did you handle it and what was the outcome?
Remain calm...shoot to kill.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Guido911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happend to me once, while i was sitting in the car waiting for someone, when a young girl parked her car and opened her door against mine. Luckily there was no damage.

If there would be damage i would ask the careless person to give me his information and talk to the insurance company too. If he doesnt want to give his information: then check Marc Gelefsky's post
Old 01-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Should mention I live in AZ...VERY liberal concealed gun laws (which works both ways!)

Under those circumstances civility is usually the best course.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:16 PM
cs jeff
Instructor

Nicely ask that they pay for any damage. If they refuse or act like an ***, kick in their door.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:32 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

exchange insurance info just like any accident, and make sure you bring the biggest stick to the fight (barretta 9mm or what ever you pack). Hit and run= police report (nothing much will happen other that a lot of paper work).

Quick Reply: Adjacent car door opens and hits you ... best practices?