Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tested My New 3.4/3.6 Motor Yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Laura
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Geeky Cayman guy, you were pretty fast this weekend, I was impressed.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Laura
Hey Geeky Cayman guy, you were pretty fast this weekend, I was impressed.
Thanks Laura. It was good to see you all again. Looking forward to having Eric in class to race with us.

Cheers,
Old 02-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Laura
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duane,
We'll be throwing Eric to the wolves in this class. GT3 in POC will be brutal this year.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:27 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by logray
Those are some pretty impressive numbers, but I bet mine are going to be higher!
Will they should be for all the work you've invested. Also remember that this was on a Dyno Dynamics machine. NASA adds 10% to their results to equal the results on a Dynojet. Let me know the numbers when you dyno please....
Old 02-15-2012, 02:33 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, going to make an appointment for next week.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:36 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Will they should be for all the work you've invested. Also remember that this was on a Dyno Dynamics machine. NASA adds 10% to their results to equal the results on a Dynojet. Let me know the numbers when you dyno please....
What are the relationships between the dyno daynamics, mustang, and dynojet?
I am a bit confussed....
Old 02-15-2012, 09:48 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcipseric
What are the relationships between the dyno daynamics, mustang, and dynojet?
I am a bit confussed....
It's all black science anyway.....

NASA has tested all of those units pretty comprehensively. They came to the conclusion that the Dynojet was the most prevelent unit across the country and made that their standard. They have added 10% premiums to the Mustang and Dyno Dynamics units as they've proved to provide lower results. The Dyno Dynamic operator we have out for our POC event last weekend says he's more like 15% lower than a Dynojet. YMMV....
Old 02-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

When we race dynos the numbers will really matter. A dyno is a tool, but it cannot be used solely for comparing performance. A dyno cannot measure throttle response and many other aspects of engine performance experienced at less than wide open throttle, where the engine will spend the majority of its time. The only motorsport that I have experienced that only uses WOT for the entire duration of the competition is drag racing. How many 911s do we see at the drag strip? When I go with my sponsored drag car (620HP aircooled VW) I generally never see a single one, even at the local track for test and tune or Friday night grudge matches.

I have effectively tuned an engine for my Wife's Land Speed car and lost 6HP at WOT on my dynojet chassis dyno. The result was a car that picked up 6 MPH and set 4 records in a single weekend. Prior to this the car made more HP and even more peak torque, but we were .5MPH from even setting a single record on THREE previous attempts at different events earlier in the year.

Peak numbers don't mean anything to the guy that wears a hat like mine. Where the concentration of power is means everything. Peak HP numbers are only good for selling engines to people that don't understand that peak numbers mean very little and further most of those people also don't understand that HP is achieved through torque multiplied by engine RPM. If I hand a dyno graph to someone and they look at the peak numbers first I usually just give up.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Cliffs version: The area under the curve is more important.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Truer words could not have been spoken

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Peak HP numbers are only good for selling engines to people that don't understand that peak numbers mean very little and further most of those people also don't understand that HP is achieved through torque multiplied by engine RPM.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by
Peak numbers don't mean anything to the guy that wears a hat like mine. Where the concentration of power is means everything. [B
Peak HP numbers are only good for selling engines[/B] to people that don't understand that peak numbers mean very little and further most of those people also don't understand that HP is achieved through torque multiplied by engine RPM. If I hand a dyno graph to someone and they look at the peak numbers first I usually just give up.
yup... most guys don't get it... peak torque and hp are all they look for... when people look at say Cayman R and comment it's only 10hp more it make me chuckle... that engine has more under the curve and hp is only one metric that makes a car go fast

Quick Reply: Tested My New 3.4/3.6 Motor Yesterday....