Sponsored by:

looking for m96 3.4 rebuild/assembly guide and info

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 03:51 PM
dgman10
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for m96 3.4 rebuild/assembly guide and info

hi, i am getting ready to start a rebuild on my 996 3.4 motor and have been having a tough time finding useful information on the assembly process. does anybody know where the torque specs and an assembly guide can be found.
any links or info is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:01 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is the reason why you want to rebuild? The Lokasil cylinders are known to oval, and just replacing rings may or may not prove good results. For this reason, it is generally recommended to send the case to a shop such as LNE near Chicago or Autofarm in the UK to have the Lokasil bored out and replaced with Nikasil (also increases displacement).

To do it right, you are looking at 10-14k in parts and machine shop services. Any less, and you are cutting corners which might lead to less than desirable results, even if it does provide "a runner".

If you are really serious, I highly recommend attending Jake Raby's M96 rebuild class, he usually holds a few of them each year... and he charges less than $1k IIRC.

At the very minimum you also need a host of special Porsche tools. If you were to buy them outright you are looking at $500-$1000. However depending on your fabrication skills you can make some or nearly all of them, however it does add time to the build.

If you want to get an idea of what you're in for, have a look at Jake's engine assembly summary here:

http://flat6innovations.com/engine-assembly

I'm almost finished with a 3.4L to 3.6L LNE Nickies rebuild, which has taken the better part of 3-4 months (a lot of the time is waiting for the installation of the new cylinders), but a TON more time doing research to make sure I don't mess it up. Check out my engine rebuild part 3 post just a few down from yours.

You would also want to get a hold of the 996 work shop manuals, which detail most of the step by step required including torque specs.

This is no cake walk!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 PM
dgman10
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the reason for the rebuild is a cracked cylinder, there is a thread that shows the damage and diagonosis of my car that can be found here...
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...d-smoke-2.html

so i will be replacing the block among other things. i did find a workshop manual with torque specs ect, that can be found here
http://996manual.blogspot.com/

i am aware of the cost of tools and have alredy made some of them, and will be buying some too. also you can rent the tools from motor meister if the cost of buying is to much. i am aware of the issues with getting the rings to mate with the cylinder walls. i will be using a new porsche block or one from ln engineering (still decidng)
right now im just trying to gather as much information as possible so any info you can provide is much apprecited
Old 01-22-2012, 09:33 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Good luck finding a viable used 3.4L engine case or short block. They are few and far between, and especially rare when sold without the rest of the engine. Likely the cost could be high due to the rarity of viable cores for sale, for example even if Jake or someone else has some cores (and of course you have the issue with ring seal on used Lockasil oval cylinders). Then with a used core are you really better off than if you just go with LNE's option, since from Porsche new pistons and rings will set you back $3000, plus the cost of the used core maybe a couple grand. Or re-using old pistons (cough) with new rings for $1k and pray they seal. Doesn't make sense to me, I didn't even consider that option. My only viable rebuild considerations were: resleeve with LNE Nickies, sell the car, or do a V8 conversion.

If you buy a new case from Porsche ($5700) you can buy an entire used engine for about the same price, but is still a gamble since you might not know how good that used core is.

As long as there are no cracks in your case that protrude deeper than the bottom of the water jacket, it can be repaired and re-sleeved by LNE. However, the cost of the LNE re-sleeve and other goodies you need is close to new Lockasil case from Porsche, and the LNE option does include new rings and pistons and greater displacement which the Porsche option does not. On top of that though you are still looking at 6-10k more worth of parts and machine shop services... which puts it in the 2x to 3x more than a used engine.

And of course you can do cast iron sleeves from a company such as SSI, but then for another grand and a bit on top of that you can have the Nickies product with new JE pistons. But of course some say that the M96 case doesn't meld well with cast iron sleeves due to heat issues.

Last edited by logray; 01-22-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dgman10
...i did find a workshop manual with torque specs ect, that can be found herehttp://996manual.blogspot.com/...
There are other places to find this as well. Concerning the legality of this however, I'm surprised the dispensers and hosts of these copyrighted information have not been served subpenas by now.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:53 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by logray
There are other places to find this as well. Concerning the legality of this however, I'm surprised the dispensers and hosts of these copyrighted information have not been served subpenas by now.

Does anyone know where else I can find the 996 3.4 workshop Manual? The previous links no longer have them.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:03 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...TOLbks_pg1.htm
Old 06-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
Does anyone know where else I can find the 996 3.4 workshop Manual? The previous links no longer have them.
Total pain to use but all the info you need is there

http://workshop-manuals.com/porsche/
Old 06-24-2016, 07:05 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

If your taking the build on yourself I can help you I have rebuilt my 3.4 from scratch , would recommend Hartech in the uk they can re round and strengthen existing cylinders and fix your cracked cylinder that will cost you about £1500 then it will be replacement bearings and gaskets etc, a lot cheaper than a shop rebuild
Old 06-24-2016, 07:06 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I also have the manuals you need
Old 06-24-2016, 08:17 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Found this amazing torrent, Has all the porsche workshop manuals from 996 back to the original 911!

https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/760...op_Manuals_PDF

Quick Reply: looking for m96 3.4 rebuild/assembly guide and info