Sponsored by:

Cabriolet outside in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by plymouthcolt
What is the general consensus of storing a cabriolet outside in winter? We do get snow and sleet here in Maryland and I don't have a garage.

Will a cabriolet top hold up winter, or should I expect leaks?
If the top doesn't leak now it should be ok.

I've stored my Boxster outside in all kinds of weather and the top is still water tight and looks reasonably good. I never use any top dressings either. I do keep the top spotlessly clean avoiding exposing the top (car) to tree sap and bird mess and clean the car as soon as possible when I see any on the car.

Store the car away from trees/bushes. I saw a Cab that had been stored outside under some trees for just a few *dry* months and the bird mess, leaves/trash that the car had collected made the car look like it spent its time in a nasty old barn.

Also, a limb can fall and damage the car.

Be concerned about rodents invading the car. I do not know how to prevent this, but you need to know. You want to be sure you select a method that prevent it, not one that makes its unlikely it will happen.

The brakes will rust. You might be able to fit some clear heavy plastic sheeting around/over the tires/wheels that keep the wind from blowing water against the rotors and brake hardware.

But the rotors will rust anyway, just not as bad as if the plastic wasn't there.

When you first drive the car use the brakes lightly to scrub away any rust. Do this as soon as possible. If you have to make a hard stop with rusty brakes this can cause the brakes to develop a pulse afterwards.

You really should invest in a high quality outside cover. I have one for my Boxster (Porsche brand cover) and the few times I've had to leave it for a week or more I've covered the car with the cover.

Or if you do not want to buy a full size outside car cover, there are companies that make auto tarps. They are partial covers, covering the top, windows side and front and back, keeping the weather and sun off the top. The tarp can have elastic hold downs that keep it in place in high winds. My preference would be a high quality outside car cover though.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I picked up my hard top several years ago from a fellow R/L member in Atlanta for $100, including a hoist and cover, just had to drive there to get it. Perfect inside and out.

Be paitent, the deals are out there.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Guido911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also recommend a hardtop, or cover it, so the dirt cant get into the pores of the top.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet outside in winter?