108k 996 anxiety

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 04:17 PM
fivepointnine
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
To the OP,

You don't seem to be all that knowledgeable about this stuff and given your post you seem unwilling to search for what has been the most beat to death topic in this forum. No worries! It's friday.

Oils to use:

My favorite: Motul 8100 X-cess 5w-40, comes in 5 liter containers and you can buy it on Amazon.com for the best price.

Castrol Syntec Edge 5w-40 can be found at most pepboys.

Mobil 1 0w-40 is the factory fill and many folks like it, many folks don't.

Mobil 1 5w-50, the only Porsche approved 5w-50, hard to find. You may have to go to a Mobil dealer to get it.

All of the oils mentioned above are Porsche approved.

And here is the rest of them:

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/P...oved_Oils.html
I get my Motul from Turner motorsports, I think its $35 ish a jug
Old 01-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

Thanks. Just figured out that Avitar means "picture of my car". Everything about this experience has been a little bit cryptic.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

Thanks for the oil info. Found this forum weeks after I bought the car. I thought I could depend on some local pros to set me straight. All I've found so far on the internet is conflicting opinions on what I agree seems to be a beaten horse subject. Bottom line - I'm going to drive, change the oil in about another 1000 miles and check for metal in the filter. WTF!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

The keys are in the mail. I've had it with drop-dead gorgeous cars that are addictive to drive. Short romances are the best. Watch your mailbox for a small package.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

Yesterday was my first real look at Rennlist. Just now figured out that Avitar means "picture of my car". Hey, the car was a trade-in at the dealership I work in. I drove it for a week before I decided to buy it. Then, the horror stories started to come. IMS, oil leaks, $10,000 engines. But by then I was hooked on the car and just pulled the trigger. I think the garage tech wanted to sell me the fix on the spot. The dealer was being...I don't know, helpful? All water under the bridge right now. I found a mechanic I think is pretty straight. Good luck to all of us.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

Well said. That's the reason I decided to buy the car despite the horror stories. All 996s eventually self-destruct? Every last one? Anyway, thanks for your input. Nice to be part of this group.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:45 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark Rindner
Thanks for the input.
No worries, I am in the same boat, you can find rebuilt engines for around 6-7k on ebay. So thats the worst case scenario. the best case is you will enjoy an amazing car with no worries for the next couple of years.

Think of of this way, 911 is rated as the most reliable car in the world, so what you save in some parts you can spend on the engine. If it goes boom.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by soverystout
To the OP,

You don't seem to be all that knowledgeable about this stuff and given your post you seem unwilling to search for what has been the most beat to death topic in this forum. No worries! It's friday.

oils to use:

My favorite: Motul 8100 X-cess 5w-40, comes in 5 liter containers and you can buy it on Amazon.com for the best price.

Castrol Syntec Edge 5w-40 can be found at most pepboys.

Mobil 1 0w-40 is the factory fill and many folks like it, many folks don't.

Mobil 1 5w-50, the only Porsche approved 5w-50, hard to find. You may have to go to a Mobil dealer to get it.

All of the oils mentioned above are Porsche approved.

And here is the rest of them:

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/P...oved_Oils.html
I use Motul 8100 X-cess 5w-40, comes in 5 liter containers and you can buy it on Amazon.com for the best price same as the first choice as this poster. Change 3 to 5000 miles depending how you feel. Check for debris in fliter everytime. All clear at 53000 miles. I ordered 4 gallon in one shot enough for two oil changes. :
Old 01-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

When I bought my 99' with 35k miles this forum was mainly talking about RMS issues with nary a word about IMSB failures. Now with only 58k miles on my Porsche the only subject discussed is the costly engine replacement should a failure occur. Total 911 magazine
from the UK has stated in numerous articles that they believe the actual failure rate is somewhere around 5% of all 996s produced. Everyone has to make there own choice in this regard, but actual numbers of failures stems from opinions in many cases, so you need to do what you think is the best choice.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Rindner
Thanks for the oil info. Found this forum weeks after I bought the car. I thought I could depend on some local pros to set me straight. All I've found so far on the internet is conflicting opinions on what I agree seems to be a beaten horse subject. Bottom line - I'm going to drive, change the oil in about another 1000 miles and check for metal in the filter. WTF!
Only 5% of all 996 engines go caput. I think its a good bet if you lined up twenty 996 cars and tried to pick one with the faulty engine that you pick one with a good engine. I would put my weeks wages on that bet any day of the week. Those are the odds that you got yourself a bummer Mark so have no fear and drive it like you stole it. Warm your engine before driving off then keep the revs above 2000 at all times. Change oil between 3 and 5 thousand and cut your oilf filter open for inspection. So did we get a good deal or did we get a good deal? Thank you to the scare mongers.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

Thanks Hurdigurdiman! Good advice there. Us newbies can get a real fast education on this site. Seems every new 966 owner has the same initial fears and questions. I got a great deal on this car and my mind has been put to rest a bit. Luck of the draw...sounds like much of life as we know it. I'll take the chances and enjoy the car like the rest of you pcar oldies. By the way, Ephrata is beautiful country and SUPER for driving sports cars. I lived down the road in New Hope and had a blast on the back country roads before I moved to warm but square Florida.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

Thanks again for all the good input. GREAT FORUM. Later!
Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Don't forget the IMS Guardian. Look into it. I got it and feel better about my car.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Steve2112
Racer

Enjoy your car. If you are worried, just get the LN bearing and sleep better at night. That is what I did - I plan to keep the car a while, and I will take good care of it with preventive maintenance like the bearing and frequent oil changes. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 108k 996 anxiety