Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil change and spark plug change problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:42 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hardly. You bring up elitist a lot. I think you are projecting your own issues.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
Dear Mikey not so swift! My advice to you is STOP!! I repeat STOP! working on this car.
If you never changed oil on a car before then don't start on this car now.
Don't even think of changing the plugs!!!
Don't even try to put the sump plate back on your own you will be sorry if you do.
Get it towed to a dealer to replace the sump plate properly.
Maybe next time do the oil yourself,but you need more education before you do this.
Get a friend that is a mechanic to help you.
Mikey.. this is all good advice. I almost fell from my computer chair when I was reading your posting. I can even see the drain plug on your photo behind and to the right of your dripping oil. and behind that you will find the oil filter BUT... please get help before even jacking up the car. You will cripple yourself or cripple the car my friend. Leave everything as it is and get a handy car guy to help you. Forget about the plugs BTW. Forget about loosening the wheel as well in case you kick the car off the jacks. After reading your posting and putting it as simply as I can. Under any stretch of the imagination. You seem to be an unlikely candidate of becoming a handy DIY person so do yourself and any future owners of your Porsche, a big favor and have all work done professionally. Thats harsh but had to be said.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
To the OP - Look for debris in the oil pan! Report back with pictures if you find anything!
Yes Mikey now that the oil pan is down, check specifically for bits of black plastic or silver metal bits that didnt get caught by the oil filter. Let us know either way what you did or didn't find in the bottom of the pan. You may want to stretch a panty hose across a bucket and tip in the rest of the oil from the pan into the bucket then check the hosing for debris. Chin up my friend, it's not the end of the world. (well not until the end of this year lol) Rock on Mikey you put a smile on my face today.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

You know what a panty hose looks like don't you Mikey??? Its the bottom part of the underwear.. The one at the top is the bra hehe.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:36 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeswift
I think I am little of both, otherwise I would not be doing this my self. Amuse everyone and myself, keep the traffic to this site, I am sure there are bunch of people who go on here every few hours hoping for a new thread (I am one), so I thought I would share and create some traffic for the owners. Whats a forum without new threads. And I usually only share the bed stories, as good one are not as funny (unlike that guy with his TT spoiler). I have got a lot of good advice before and there was a number of good post on here too that helped me little bit. After the couple first post I went back to my storage unit and closed off the gasket.

Cheap oil was cheaper than that, and not synthetic, I am dumping it anyways so didn't want to waste good oil. It just an engine, it means s*** all too me that is a Porsche engine. Its made of the same parts as a Honda or Toyota engine, a lot of the Porsche stuff you are paying for the brand, I know I did.

Yes I realize to some Mobil 1 Syntehic is a **** oil, I would not put that in my 10 year old huynadi because its so ****. 1% problem . Thank god we are so lucky that we can make statements like that.

If there is unexpected problems with sparks or other stuff I will be sure to post, and will wait for possible oil leaking in march. Hope not.
Statements of a troll.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:36 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Mike,

Thanks for making my few minutes on Rennlist tonight a hoot!

I literally laughed out loud as I read through all the posts. I saw a sense of urgency in all those posts telling you to button it up and have it towed and fixed right. I was hoping you'd tackle it yourself, which you did. I can read between the lines of your posts and probably see what others have not.

I have confidence that you can do anything you want on this car. Keep going with the DIY projects.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:27 AM
JaxJim
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps an IMS Retrofit should be the next DIY. Please post pics.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:22 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 477 Posts

It would be helpful if you would please post the car's VIN, engine serial number, and tranny serial number.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:43 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 344 Posts

Yes, a troll, showing what he thinks is humor. I'm guessing he of the age of the "Jackass" generation.
Grow up, son.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:51 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It was a joke, i think there is couple generation gaps on this forum, which is cool, I miss some of the stuff my younger friends say too.

Yes got all the oil out, cleaned the plate and resealed with ford/gm approved gasket oil sealer. Poured some cheap oil in. All good so far. In march I will do a real oil change with filter before i start it up with Mobil 1 syntehic oil. Off to spark plug change and all the other mods I have planned for winter, after the spark plugs I get into my expertise area (electronics) so don't forsee too many problems.

I started this thread as kinda a joke, It was one of those Dooh moments I had by not paying attention to the youtube video and not noticing there could be two plates. I thought it was a funny story and decided to post it with little drama, too bad some of you took it way to seriously. I don't feel elite in any way because I own a porshce, it's a regular car there is nothing to it, specially the ones I owned. Some people seem way over protective I guess, and I undestand your point of view. I have no problems making mistakes that might cost me lots of money in the end, its the journey that counts for me.

Thanks for all the sincere help from some people, I did reseal the plate right away before dust cold get to it, and then today I cleaned it as quickly as I could and put it back on. Will see results of this in march.

Atta boy Mike. Come out swinging. Good luck with your car.
BTW, what colour is it? Looks like Mirage (same as mine).
Cheers
Old 01-21-2012, 01:06 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too late to check for debris, he put the pan back on already. And Mikey, you don't have to worry about dust getting into the engine unless you live in a metal shop. I can't imagine the mess this must have made. Any pics of that?

In the future you will discover this is the easiest car in existance to do an oil and filter change.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:17 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 344 Posts

"It was a joke, i think there is couple generation gaps on this forum"

I guess you never heard the story about "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" and also think it's funny to yell "Fire" in a crowded theater. Very sad.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:35 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Hey guys, Pick on him all you want. I want to learn how to back one onto those ramps like that.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:43 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you might have missed my point a bit.

I'm 46 and a regular guy, not rich or anything. When I was your age I was stupid too. Less so now is all.

Dino oil will evetually is wreck your engine is all I was saying. Don't get me wrong, I would love to learn what happens after 50 K kilometetres, and I don't think that's your plan, but there is a line where one begins to *abuse* equipment and if you aren't crossing it then you've certainly got your toe right up to it.

But whatev...make sure you put those spark plugs in as tight as you can eh? Just torque the f*ck out of them.

I commented on oil comment in the message before, I am happy for you that you played your life cards good enough to be able to make such comments. I am not there yet but few more years of hard work I can start making simmiliar comments.

Not sure how old you are but in the early 90's there was the big "ricer movement" in Ontario. There were more honda's and toyotas on the roads that were better taken care off than 90% of porsches out there.

I been in a porsche market in the last 4 months, I seen one 2002 where the owner didn't realize he was driving a convertible 1.5 year after buying the car. The car needed as much as it was worth to make it road worthy. The car has been on autotrader.com for the last 6 months. It was a sad day for me.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by garrett376
It would be helpful if you would please post the car's VIN, engine serial number, and tranny serial number.
Yes do that Mikey just in case your car comes on the market for sale. Then I can avoid it like I would the plague lol.

Quick Reply: Oil change and spark plug change problems.