Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil change and spark plug change problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:21 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw this this afternoon before the responses started. I have a TT so I know it is different, but I figured something wasn't quite right.

To the OP... think of this as a great learning opportunity. You f'd up. Those are the best lessons. I've f'd up plenty of car stuff in my day.

Find a good indy in your area and have the car towed to him. Let him fix it, but show you the right way to do the basic maintenance on your car. I enjoy the DIY stuff, but also know the limits and abilities of me and my tools.

Good luck and don't let the ribbing get to you. Lot's of good info on this site and you are now smarter on your car than you were this morning.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
Dear Mikey not so swift! My advice to you is STOP!! I repeat STOP! working on this car.
If you never changed oil on a car before then don't start on this car now.
Don't even think of changing the plugs!!!
Don't even try to put the sump plate back on your own you will be sorry if you do.
Get it towed to a dealer to replace the sump plate properly.
Maybe next time do the oil yourself,but you need more education before you do this.
Get a friend that is a mechanic to help you.
Big +1 To the OP, at first I thought you were joking. Now that I see you weren't, call a tow truck and take it to your favorite independent shop.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Barn996
So Zookie, you've never made a mistake?
Modifying a beetle to the ****s.... That's crazier than this thread and almost anything else that I know of.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP - Look for debris in the oil pan! Report back with pictures if you find anything!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:16 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did anyone mention to the OP he needs to reseal that oil pan... just tightening those oil pan screws won't help/keep the oil pan from leaking.

Course we haven't seen him since yesterday...
Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeswift
Ps. Asking for directions and reading manuals first is for woman.
With this attitude, I hope you have more money than brains.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:56 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
With this attitude, I hope you have more money than brains.

It was a joke, i think there is couple generation gaps on this forum, which is cool, I miss some of the stuff my younger friends say too.

Yes got all the oil out, cleaned the plate and resealed with ford/gm approved gasket oil sealer. Poured some cheap oil in. All good so far. In march I will do a real oil change with filter before i start it up with Mobil 1 syntehic oil. Off to spark plug change and all the other mods I have planned for winter, after the spark plugs I get into my expertise area (electronics) so don't forsee too many problems.

I started this thread as kinda a joke, It was one of those Dooh moments I had by not paying attention to the youtube video and not noticing there could be two plates. I thought it was a funny story and decided to post it with little drama, too bad some of you took it way to seriously. I don't feel elite in any way because I own a porshce, it's a regular car there is nothing to it, specially the ones I owned. Some people seem way over protective I guess, and I undestand your point of view. I have no problems making mistakes that might cost me lots of money in the end, its the journey that counts for me.

Thanks for all the sincere help from some people, I did reseal the plate right away before dust cold get to it, and then today I cleaned it as quickly as I could and put it back on. Will see results of this in march.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:24 PM
pesuazo
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

Glad to see all is Ok.....

Let us know the outcome of your new endeavour (Sparkplugs and others)....I hope it goes smoothly.....
Old 01-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

It was a joke, i think there is couple generation gaps on this forum, which is cool, I miss some of the stuff my younger friends say too.

Yes got all the oil out, cleaned the plate and resealed with ford/gm approved gasket oil sealer. Poured some cheap oil in. All good so far. In march I will do a real oil change with filter before i start it up with Mobil 1 syntehic oil. Off to spark plug change and all the other mods I have planned for winter, after the spark plugs I get into my expertise area (electronics) so don't forsee too many problems.

I started this thread as kinda a joke, It was one of those Dooh moments I had by not paying attention to the youtube video and not noticing there could be two plates. I thought it was a funny story and decided to post it with little drama, too bad some of you took it way to seriously. I don't feel elite in any way because I own a porshce, it's a regular car there is nothing to it, specially the ones I owned. Some people seem way over protective I guess, and I undestand your point of view. I have no problems making mistakes that might cost me lots of money in the end, its the journey that counts for me.

Thanks for all the sincere help from some people, I did reseal the plate right away before dust cold get to it, and then today I cleaned it as quickly as I could and put it back on. Will see results of this in march.
Really?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:22 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

...Poured some cheap oil in. All good so far. In march I will do a real oil change with filter before i start it up with Mobil 1 syntehic oil....

Hate to break it to you Canucklehead but Mobil 1 *is* the cheap stuff.

You did put synthetic in right ? (normally it wouldn't be necessary to ask but in this case )

You don't have to feel like an elite to own and operate a Porsche...but you can't treat it like a Toyota Corolla either.

Well, you can of course, just not for very long.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Riofan
Track Day

Not to pile on because I'm a newbie but you're either brave or stupid. This forum is very helpful with info when asked properly. I don't know why but I think this post was done to generate responses and amuse you.

If not. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2012, 08:49 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Riofan
Not to pile on because I'm a newbie but you're either brave or stupid. This forum is very helpful with info when asked properly. I don't know why but I think this post was done to generate responses and amuse you.
That's the way I felt about some of it. The cheap oil comment, the comment that it's just a regular car there's nothing to it, etc. Why come to an enthusiasts website if that's the case?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:14 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Originally Posted by Riofan

If not. Good luck!
I think I am little of both, otherwise I would not be doing this my self. Amuse everyone and myself, keep the traffic to this site, I am sure there are bunch of people who go on here every few hours hoping for a new thread (I am one), so I thought I would share and create some traffic for the owners. Whats a forum without new threads. And I usually only share the bed stories, as good one are not as funny (unlike that guy with his TT spoiler). I have got a lot of good advice before and there was a number of good post on here too that helped me little bit. After the couple first post I went back to my storage unit and closed off the gasket.

Cheap oil was cheaper than that, and not synthetic, I am dumping it anyways so didn't want to waste good oil. It just an engine, it means s*** all too me that is a Porsche engine. Its made of the same parts as a Honda or Toyota engine, a lot of the Porsche stuff you are paying for the brand, I know I did.

Yes I realize to some Mobil 1 Syntehic is a **** oil, I would not put that in my 10 year old huynadi because its so ****. 1% problem . Thank god we are so lucky that we can make statements like that.

If there is unexpected problems with sparks or other stuff I will be sure to post, and will wait for possible oil leaking in march. Hope not.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:24 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Originally Posted by OGWGFIW
That's the way I felt about some of it. The cheap oil comment, the comment that it's just a regular car there's nothing to it, etc. Why come to an enthusiasts website if that's the case?

Another elisit porsche owner I can only assume. Who are you to judge my level of love for the brand or my enthusiasm?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Originally Posted by jasper
Hate to break it to you Canucklehead but Mobil 1 *is* the cheap stuff.

You did put synthetic in right ? (normally it wouldn't be necessary to ask but in this case )

You don't have to feel like an elite to own and operate a Porsche...but you can't treat it like a Toyota Corolla either.

Well, you can of course, just not for very long.
I commented on oil comment in the message before, I am happy for you that you played your life cards good enough to be able to make such comments. I am not there yet but few more years of hard work I can start making simmiliar comments.

Not sure how old you are but in the early 90's there was the big "ricer movement" in Ontario. There were more honda's and toyotas on the roads that were better taken care off than 90% of porsches out there.

I been in a porsche market in the last 4 months, I seen one 2002 where the owner didn't realize he was driving a convertible 1.5 year after buying the car. The car needed as much as it was worth to make it road worthy. The car has been on autotrader.com for the last 6 months. It was a sad day for me.

Quick Reply: Oil change and spark plug change problems.