Sponsored by:

996 tip warning lights followed by cel

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 PM
wscott66
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 tip warning lights followed by cel

newbie who needs help! 2000 c4 cab with tip. got in today and after a block from home the warning lights on the tip gear indicator started flashing and went into safe mode. shortly after cel comes on. got caught in rain a day or so ago and didnt realize top had leak. back passenger floorboard had water standing. is there an electrical module under the passenger seat that could potentially cause this prob? any other ideas or suggestions? thanks
Old 12-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure, but if you can post the CEL error code we might be able to help you troubleshoot.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott66
newbie who needs help! 2000 c4 cab with tip. got in today and after a block from home the warning lights on the tip gear indicator started flashing and went into safe mode. shortly after cel comes on. got caught in rain a day or so ago and didnt realize top had leak. back passenger floorboard had water standing. is there an electrical module under the passenger seat that could potentially cause this prob? any other ideas or suggestions? thanks
Can't say with 100% confidence but I believe there's a security system module under one of the cabin's seats.

You need to find out for sure. Maybe if you're able get the seat up as high as it will go and with a bright light look under each seat for any signs of a control module. Probably it will be in some kind of protective (but not water tight) box/housing.

Regardless I think you're going to have to remove all the water and thoroughly dry out the cabin's wet parts.

Also, it may be possible that if the top let water into the cabin it might have let water run on the DME. I'm not sure where the DME is in your car's case though. I scanned through what references I have and couldn't find where it is located though I seem to recall it is located ahead of the engine, but don't quote me.

Anyhow, you need to get the water out, dry the cabin throughly and determine where else and on what else the water may have gotten. Be sure you check/clean all body water drains too. The water may not be coming in through a leaking top (though this is of course suspect) but through a blocked up drain that allows water to collect and eventually overflow into the cabin, or in/on the dash or in the engine compartment.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:43 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

DME located behind rear passenger seat.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:58 PM
wscott66
7th Gear

guys- thanks so much for the response. had it towed to shop today. i explained what happened and they preliminarily said the exact same thing. thanks so much. i ll keep you posted.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:17 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Should this go to an earlier post?

Rumor confirmed...996's really don't melt in the rain!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C4CRNA

Really not sure they don't because isn't there supposed to be pictures of the car and not seeing pictures there is a high possibility the car did actually melt

Trending Topics

Old 01-03-2012, 01:59 AM
tarzancoe
Instructor

If you had the car flooded, even a bit, you might consider taking to your Indy so they remove the carpets, etc. Water might had gone into the cluster as well. It happened to me last year; it was not a lot of water what it created a mess and a myriad of gremlins. The good thing is.... that insurance pays for it and they do not downgrade your standing because they recognize that the cause was out of your control (weather). My insurance is StateFarm.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:04 PM
wscott66
7th Gear

tarzancoe you saved me big time. phoned my insurance company this am. already sent out adjuster to look at my car and yes the repairs will be covered minus my deductible. i owe you one. i appreciate all the info i have received here. you guys have been dead on. thanks so much. Scott
Old 01-04-2012, 03:08 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by C4CRNA

Originally Posted by Pac996
Really not sure they don't because isn't there supposed to be pictures of the car and not seeing pictures there is a high possibility the car did actually melt
This 996 didn't melt, it fried!

Quick Reply: 996 tip warning lights followed by cel