Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Pagid Orange RS4-4 or Pagid Black RS-14?

Old 12-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 37 Likes on 10 Posts

Your best bet are the Hawk HPS pads instead of ceramic. No dust, excellent stopping power and fade, no noise when cold, etc. They are more expensive then EBC pads, but cheaper then OEM pads, and you can buy them on Amazon.

Ceramic pads are going to get almost as much dust as stock pads, and for street use, I cannot recommend them.

Now to address your shudder at initial brake application. This is most likely due to to glazing on the brake rotor surface. The HPS pads have a thick abrasive coating sprayed on the surface of the pads that when used with proper pad bedding procedures after installation will clean off the glazing.

But then again you might actually have warped rotors. Highly unlikely if you have the stock Brembo rotors on your car, but still possible. If you are looking for a replacement rotor of the same quality as the OEM Brembos, but don't want to pay a Brembo price, consider Zimmerman rotors. I use Zimmermans exclusively for replacement rotors and have never had a set warp, even in severe duty applications.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not use the Pagid Orange, Black or Yellow as dedicated street pads. Like others have said, they need some heat in them to work properly, and will make some noise on the street as well.

Hawk HPS pads are alright, I use them in our Cayenne TT but they still make a bit of dust, but nothing like OE pads do.

Cheers
Old 12-28-2011, 03:35 PM
100plus
Pro

Thanks guys for all your input. I have just purchased a set of Pagid Orange pads and will give it a review once i have installed them.

Cheers
Old 12-28-2011, 09:47 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

The RS4-4's will work fine for you on the Street... These pads will work well for you with a stock weight 996... While the others are correct on the RS14/19 & 29's...
Old 12-29-2011, 10:53 AM
boxhead
Intermediate

I have used Pagid black, yellow, orange, and Hawk HPS for both street and track. They all dust about the same to me (Hawk maybe a tiny bit less). Street stopping power and feel was the worst with HPS, followed closely by Blacks.
With blacks and yellows properly bedded, on the street they feel fine (compared to stock), until the transfer layer wears off and begin to squeal. There after, I'd have rebed them with a few hard stops which would make them quiet again for a little while longer. That got old, so I just swap out pads now.

Orange is my preferred set up for dual duty. Yellow/Black for dedicated track. Cost no object, I'd just keep using orange and not hassle with swapping pads and bedding each time.

Caution: all the above pads have diminished rain feel. Stock is superior in that regard.

Last edited by boxhead; 12-29-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: correction
Old 12-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 92 Posts

Stick with stock or try the Hawk HPS pads. Leave track pads for the track. You're asking for worse braking on the street, more noise, more rotor wear, and similar or more dust.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 37 Likes on 10 Posts

100plus:
I did not want to say anything abut your decision, but I am perplexed at it.

You have been almost universally counseled not to go with Pagid pads for street use because they exhibit all of the characteristics you are trying to avoid, but yet you chose those pads anyway. They are absolutely the worst pads you could choose for your application.

Would you please enlighten us to why you choose to use these pads?
Old 12-29-2011, 03:23 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

He'll be back to stock. Don't you worry. Those Pagid RS44 will get annoying as hell when your car sounds like a school bus (although not as bad as the black race pad. I have yet to hear a quiet Orange pad car. Noise typically comes from rear.

Originally Posted by Orient Express
100plus:

You have been almost universally counseled not to go with Pagid pads for street use because they exhibit all of the characteristics you are trying to avoid, but yet you chose those pads anyway. They are absolutely the worst pads you could choose for your application.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Feelgood MD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Orient Express
100plus:

ha...i was wondering the same thing! he never enlightened you, nor did he report back with his review. i think this was a case of knowing what he wanted and was hoping someone would agree with him...but since no one gave him the answer he want to hear, he did it anyway.

however, no one mentioned the Pagid S or "sport" pads. they appear to be the solution to street/track. anybody have experience with these?
http://www.pagidracing.com/catalog/pages/pagid-s.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pagid Orange RS4-4 or Pagid Black RS-14?