Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

aftermarket high flow catalytic converter are hotter than oem - cool down ideas ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 11:02 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default aftermarket high flow catalytic converter are hotter than oem - cool down ideas ?

After one of my OEM Catalytic converter died, I mounted a set of high flow catalytic converter. I bought them used so I have no idea of the brand but they work great and sound awesome, only trouble is that they run hotter than the OEM.

They are NOT red hot but the metal click a lot more when the car is parked and I now hear my rear fan going on when the car is parked and they used to never turn on before.

They get warmer in street driving than high speed driving.

What do you think I can do to make them cooler :
- ceramic coating ?
- those racing wrapping that people put on header ?
- other ideas ?

Last edited by philooo; 12-25-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:46 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

drive faster?
Old 12-24-2011, 01:22 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

Ceramic coating sounds like a good idea...
Old 12-24-2011, 05:09 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've ceramic coated several motorcycle and car headers and mufflers with very good results.

HPC (High Performance Coatings) is, I believe, an American company which I have used here in Australia - they say that their ceramic coatings can save up to 28% of radiated heat using their systems - depending on colour - which I agree with.....
Old 12-24-2011, 11:11 AM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ceramic coating...check Jet-Hot...
Old 12-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

i have had mine for 4 years now (Fab Speed)... they never get Red Hot... They Dont Click... and my Fan Does not Go On (It does Work)

Did you have them Instpected before you put them on? Does your car feel Heavy? Maybe they are Bad (Fused) thats why they are getting Hot.

What Brand?
Old 12-24-2011, 02:15 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

I really have no idea about the brand, it looks like they had a 'rectangular' badge on them that fell off.

What do you mean by 'Fused' ? They would not be working anymore ?

They don't make any noise like the broken OEM do, but they are old and I have used O2 sensor extender to avoid CEL light, so if they don't work, the computer will not see it.

The car feels great, runnning perfect, sounds good and all.

I would hate to pay for ceramic coating if they are dead I bought them very cheap..may be too cheap

>> HOW CAN I TELL IF THEY ARE DEAD ? << I looked into them and the 'filter' looked good.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
.What do you mean by 'Fused' ? They would not be working anymore ?
Fused meaning Cats inside have Melted and Fused together, reason for why they would be Glowing Red. But if you says your Performance is Great. Then they might not be "Broken". If they were say Fused the Perfomance would be Lacking becauce Exhaust Gases would not be able to Pass Freely one of the Reasons why the Pipes would Glow Red under normal Operations...
Old 12-25-2011, 02:08 AM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I've got 200 cells also but no glowing no metal clicking...I'm not sure what's going on with yours
Old 12-25-2011, 11:51 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

I corrected my first post... because they are NOT glowing red... I had missed a word in the original post

I assume ceramic coating looks like the best solution at this time, I'll try to get some quote and see how it goes.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:00 PM
02TX996Cab
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To find out if your cats are working, get a tailpipe emissions check performed. High CO and unburned HC are give-aways that something is wrong.

Having O2 sensor extenders in doesn't help--you're losing potentially valuable data. As annoying as they can be, CELs (with attendant codes) can help you troubleshoot problems. For example, a car running rich would result in extra unburned hydrocarbons entering the cats. This, in turn, would cause them to run much hotter. Over this this could also cause them to fuse, deactivate or otherwise "quit working".

If your cats are working properly and you simply want to reduce radiated heat, either header wrap or ceramic coating should work. Just remember that anything you do to reduce radiated heat will be acting as an insulator and will cause the catalytic elements and everything else downstream (mufflers, tailpipes) to run hotter. Caveat emptor.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:07 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Very good point on insulating the cats, I did not think that it would stress them out even more...

I'll take them out soon to check them and may be put the O2 sensor back in place

I wish I had the oem but really they just keep breaking

Quick Reply: aftermarket high flow catalytic converter are hotter than oem - cool down ideas ?