Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How Come My Tip P-car Does Not Have A breather Hose?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 PM
100plus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Come My Tip P-car Does Not Have A breather Hose?

Hi guys,

Just want to confirm, why doesnt my car have a breather hose like other tiptronic cars do? I am about to purchase a CAI from fabspeed.

Cheers
Old 12-22-2011, 12:41 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 338 Posts

My MY2000 doesn't have one either.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:12 PM
100plus
Pro

I drive a MY2000 too. I think our cars a NON e-gas versions
Old 12-22-2011, 04:04 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

They are e-gas, but use cables for the Frunk and engine lid.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

1999's are cable - ALL North American imported Y2000's with M96/04 engines have e-gas (except Y2000 GT-3's). Y2000 run DME 7.2 software as a result. Carrera 4's were the only 1999 model with e-gas (because of PSM introduced on that model).

Just want to confirm, why doesnt my car have a breather hose like other tiptronic cars do? I am about to purchase a CAI from fabspeed.
I don't understand what you mean by 'breather hose'? Do you mean the resonator bypass hose? (See Pic)

If so - it's not a breather hose in the old school way of thinking. It's in the airbox design as simply a way to 'sport' up the sound of the engine. It has no affect on performance. I have a fabspeed CAI and this port has a cap on it as part of the kit. No performance benefit (although some swear they can feel it by seat of the pants). The sound IS better at WFO settings. Not much gain in sound for mid range.

FYI: In the pic above: you'll note this is an e-gas model by the absence of the ICV (and throttle cable attachment) that would be mounted to the intake boss (empty) located on the drivers side of the intake. I usually have to clean out this valve every season when I notice the idle seems to be hunting around. In this regard the e-gas is a good option. The downside is that part of e-gas was the introduction of MOST - a data-buss wiring design that precluded you from just simply dropping in ANY stereo or electronic device you wanted and expecting it to work. The downside without e-gas: is that you can't have PSM - if you cared for this option.

Last edited by Torontoworker; 12-23-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-23-2011, 12:36 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

I think the OP is referring to a note on the Fabspeed site that says that some Tips come with a third connection to the intake, which must be disconnected and fitted with a small filter. It had me confused as well when I checked it out months ago.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
I think the OP is referring to a note on the Fabspeed site that says that some Tips come with a third connection to the intake, which must be disconnected and fitted with a small filter. It had me confused as well when I checked it out months ago.
It was meant for what is a pretty rare (ROW) set-up not seen here too often. Instead of the transmission breather ON the transmission - *some* cars came with a line to the air intake that used filtered air using the intake filter. There was a change over of Tiptronic manufacturers from Daimler-Chrysler and ZF. I've got the ZF type. I checked Auto Atlanta and Pelican's sites for diagram's that match and can only find the 'normal' intake hose set up that we see around US models.

I found the following image on a UK site:
Old 12-23-2011, 06:09 PM
100plus
Pro

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
It was meant for what is a pretty rare (ROW) set-up not seen here too often. Instead of the transmission breather ON the transmission - *some* cars came with a line to the air intake that used filtered air using the intake filter. There was a change over of Tiptronic manufacturers from Daimler-Chrysler and ZF. I've got the ZF type. I checked Auto Atlanta and Pelican's sites for diagram's that match and can only find the 'normal' intake hose set up that we see around US models.

I found the following image on a UK site:
Ah! Thats right! Thats the breather hose i am missing. So now i know why ...

Cheers

Quick Reply: How Come My Tip P-car Does Not Have A breather Hose?