Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Susension and exhaust noise. Need suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:53 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Susension and exhaust noise. Need suggestions.

Hey everyone. I have PSS10s and a Billy Boat muffler system (using stock cats) upgraded in my 04 911. My car is progressively making a squeaking noise from the suspension and a rattle is also coming from my muffler. This is what the wrench said this morning:

My mechanic and I looked over your suspension. We think the progressive springs are hitting each other and that is what is creating noise in the rear. In the front it looks like both sway bar links are under a lot of tension which is just from the set up you have. One of the links has a torn boot. There is no lubrication or adjusting of the suspension that we can see doing to help the noise. I had a similar set up on my 911 and it was really noisy as well. The muffler is touching the frame on the left side. We did a few things to try and improve that. The only way I can definitely fix that would be to remove the muffler completely and modify the brackets and the frame. Cost for something like that would be around $400.

What do you guys suggest to resolve the above problems? I will contact Billy Boat about the exhaust but any data would be appreciated.

TIA

Last edited by oMenRC51; 12-21-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by oMenRC51
Hey everyone. I have PSS10s and a Billy Boat muffler system (using stock cats) upgraded in my 04 911. My car is progressively making a squeaking noise from the suspension and a rattle is also coming from my muffler. This is what the wrench said this morning:

My mechanic and I looked over your suspension. We think the progressive springs are hitting each other and that is what is creating noise in the rear. In the front it looks like both sway bar links are under a lot of tension which is just from the set up you have. One of the links has a torn boot. There is no lubrication or adjusting of the suspension that we can see doing to help the noise. I had a similar set up on my 911 and it was really noisy as well. The muffler is touching the frame on the left side. We did a few things to try and improve that. The only way I can definitely fix that would be to remove the muffler completely and modify the brackets and the frame. Cost for something like that would be around $400.

What do you guys suggest to resolve the above problems? I will contact Billy Boat about the exhaust but any data would be appreciated.

TIA
If the spring coils are making contact this suggests the springs are not so much progressive rather they are not suited for the car. Or they have not been installed correctly.

My memory is very fuzzy -- so much so this is more a WAG than even a faintly remembered fact -- but the spring pads are different thicknesses and must be matched properly. The stock springs have specific pads paired with them and I beleive this holds true for aftermarket springs as well, unless they are designed to reuse the stock pads.

If the exhaust system is contacting any body, suspension, chassis or other part of the car, almost certainly noise of the most irritating kind will be the result.

If any part of the exhaust system is making any contact with the above listed items, the exhaust system's installation is suspect, or perhaps the exhaust system has its hangers mislocated due to manufacturing sloppiness or damage and this results in the exhaust system not being properly positioned.

One help would be if you can take pics of your car's exhaust setup and then view another car with the same/similar setup to see if you can spot any obvious differences, signs of misinstallation with your car's setup.

Or take the car to a shop that has experience with these cars and their exhaust systems in general and specifically experience with the aftermarket exhaust system you are using.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:28 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks Mac.

Anyone else have any input?

Quick Reply: Susension and exhaust noise. Need suggestions.