Sponsored by:

Geekin' Up My Garage Phase 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:49 AM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Geekin' Up My Garage Phase 1

So, phase 1 complete.... Obtain Porsche 911 Anniversary CS2... Find dealer posters from 2004...have posters coated with temperature resistant sealant and framed...hang on garage wall...

Phase 2...Find flooring/tiles...possibly checker board silver and black...possibly ceramic...paint wall checker board with Porsche logo on it...

Anyone have the checkerboard flooring I see in my Car & Driver every month? Or ceramic? Or any other way I should consider geeking up my garage?
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2013, 01:16 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

What about the tools?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:50 AM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Imo000
What about the tools?
This is mainly an aesthetics post, but I do have the full compliment of sockets, adapters, extensions, wrenches, deep impact sockets, screw drivers, torx bits, hex bits, breaker bars, torque wrenches, pry bars, fluid pumps, bleeders, dual action polishers, every detaling fluid known to man, jacks, jack stands, air compressors and other boring stuff.

What about the flooring?!?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 AM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have black and silver race deck flooring. I have the free flow in a checkerboard pattern with matching cabinetry and love it. I get lots of compliments and it has been super easy to maintain. I just hose it off and after 3 years it still looks great.

http://www.racedeck.com/freeflow-garageflooring.html
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2013, 03:03 AM
Nedster
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve's MLC
So, phase 1 complete.... Obtain Porsche 911 Anniversary CS2... Find dealer posters from 2004...have posters coated with temperature resistant sealant and framed...hang on garage wall...

Phase 2...Find flooring/tiles...possibly checker board silver and black...possibly ceramic...paint wall checker board with Porsche logo on it...

Anyone have the checkerboard flooring I see in my Car & Driver every month? Or ceramic? Or any other way I should consider geeking up my garage?

I find vintage licence plates on the wall the best decoration. In the house or garage.

This is somewhat applicable to our 40th AE cars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-40-F...aa8f8d&vxp=mtr
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 for the Race Deck flooring.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Thanks for the links. Race Deck says it supports rolling weight. Does the Race Deck flooring stand up to the weight of the car on the jack and jack stands?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It will be fine with jack stands. I do use a small piece of plywood under each stand just so I wont mar the tiles but the car weight is no problem. If you join the forums at 6speedonline.com and tell Race Deck that, you will get better pricing...almost at cost. My garage is 20x20 and I think I spent about 1200.00.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Akshun
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice start on the garage!
i thought about the tile, but depending on the finish you get , its very slippery when wet, ie.. oil, snow ,rain etc..
Im planning on using the garage floorpaint from home depot, it has epoxy in it and lasts forever, as well as being very inexpensive.
Using the floor paint you could also get creative and sport your own checker design or logo, whichever you wish, even your own choice of colours.
ill have some pics when mine is complete.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:17 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I went with Race Deck. (Grey and Red pattern)
It's the envy of the entire neighborhood.
Clean up is instantaneous - makes my garage look like a showroom
Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Akshun
Im planning on using the garage floorpaint from home depot, it has epoxy in it and lasts forever, as well as being very inexpensive.
I wish this were true. For people contemplating epoxy, you should do a moisture test on your concrete slab first to see if moisture comes up from it or not. Secondly, I would advise against it for the people that work on their cars alot. Tried Rustoleum and Ucoat It in 3 different garages and were both times disappointed. Even after excellent prep, and one being on new concrete, stuff still didn't last too long. You might be ok if you don't work on your car that much. I know the ones they sell at Home Depot and such are consumer grade epoxy, even though some say it's "Professional", it's more marketing than anything else.

I recenlty bough the Rock Solid Floor coating as it is not an epoxy and seems to have several advantages over epoxy so we shall see.
https://rocksolidfloors.com/

I would recommend going to http://garagejournal.com/ for several garage flooring suggestions.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Akshun
Advanced

hmm, thanks for the heads up, after seeing your response i looked up some stuff on epoxy and concrete on google. there is some very interesting articles that do warn against the use of it for moisture reasons, saying it will potentially trap moisture in the concrete and could do some major damage.I would never have guessed the epoxy based paint to be a problem, as i have used it in industrial applications.
Guess i will try another alternative as i do like to work on my car and plan on completing some more DIY's this year.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 PM
ponzzzz
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Look into polished concrete, check out my garage floor.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Akshun
Advanced

Nice!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 PM
ponzzzz
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Its about 4 to 5 dollars a sqft and you can also die the concrete before you seal it. Google some images, it looks sick when its died brown, comes out like marble.

Quick Reply: Geekin' Up My Garage Phase 1