Seat Adjustment switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:22 AM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Seat Adjustment switch

The fore/aft adjustment switch on passenger side is no longer working and looking for a replacement. Dealer only sells whole unit at $470, hoping to do better.
Car is 2003 C4S.

Any ideas where to source it?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

You try getting a price from suncoast or sunset porsche?
Old 12-15-2011, 01:56 PM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

not yet. It's on my to do list...
Old 12-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 105 Posts

I dealt with the same issue a couple of years ago. The best option ended up being Sunset at around $350 for a new part. Most of the used parts dealers were asking the same or more. I couldn't believe it and hated swallowing $350 to move my seat back and forth...at least it works now.

-Shawn
Old 12-15-2011, 03:37 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Sent you a PM
Old 12-15-2011, 04:42 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Default How to remove assembly

I had few minutes to take my 1999 C4 comfort seat apart. At first I thought that you could not remove the switch and harness together (my previous post prior to editing this indicated same), but when I realized that the seat bottom comes off quite easily, it is not difficult to remove at all.

The seat controls are integrated into the seat structure. You need to remove the seat top to extract the assembly. Ideally, the seat will be out of the car, but I can see this working with the seat in the car as well. The angles and spaces will be more challenging.

Here are some pictures

Removed exterior controls. (Try not do to do this. It can be a hassle to fit the external control mechanism back into the switch body as the pins have mate to micro-switches for correct operation

The wiring harness feed through between a large plastic carrier piece and the seat frame. You need to remove the top of the seat to extract the assembly.

Looking at the seat base from the bottom. There are three connectors circled in green that are part of the harness. make sure to make a diagram of the connections before disassebly.

Unlocking the two white plastic connectors at the front of the seat allows you to lift the cover to extract the assembly

Complete unit removed

Last edited by fbgh2o; 12-15-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Correct mistatement
Old 12-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 105 Posts

The replacement part has the wire harness attached to the switch. You replace that whole unit if I recall correctly.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:33 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

The replacement part has the wire harness attached to the switch. You replace that whole unit if I recall correctly.
Agreed. The switch assembly and harness appear to be a single assembly.

I have figured out how to remove it and will post pictures shortly. You do not have to cut anything or need a Molex tool. I have removed mine KrisKringle. It's yours if you want it - see my PM.

Pictures posted to original picture post.

Last edited by fbgh2o; 12-15-2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Correct a mistatement
Old 12-17-2011, 09:15 PM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbgh2o

I have figured out how to remove it and will post pictures shortly. You do not have to cut anything or need a Molex tool. I have removed mine KrisKringle. It's yours if you want it - see my PM.

Thanks for all the info, still haven't found out part number as I was busy at basketball tournament last 2 days.
I'm assuming it's an exact match, but give me till Monday as I want to make sure.

Thanks again for the detailed info!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:19 AM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbgh2o

new PM
Old 03-08-2014, 10:27 AM
NC 996TT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my driver side seat controls apart to have them covered in CF by dbCarbon. They turned out beautiful, but I lost one lumbar support small microswitch plunger - piece of plastic which activates the switch. The switch is made by Cherry Inc. and is labeled 38 A0, but I cannot find a replacement. I don't need a whole seat module from Porsche, or a switch, just that little plastic plunger - could be from a wrecked car ..... any leads? I called salvage yards and they want to sell me the whole seat module. PM me if you have any leads. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Could some other 'small plastic piece' be sculptured, whittled or shaped into the correct plunger size and used in place? I mean can you see exactly where the plunger is sitting and what it activates and drop or insert a 'sculptured' part into the correct position? Just a thought. ie where there's a will, there's a way. Just a thought....
Old 03-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by NC 996TT
I called salvage yards and they want to sell me the whole seat module. PM me if you have any leads. Thanks.
My "up-down" doesn't work. I've called every salvage yard I could find for months, and no one had the seat module.

It's about $500 for the OEM module. Can you let me know what places you have found the module and how much $$ they want for it?

I need it for a 2003 C2, driver's side. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:59 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You could try LA Auto Dismantler, they specialize in Porsches:

http://www.ladismantler.com

Quick Reply: Seat Adjustment switch