Sponsored by:

OK. It's really 10k for the rear tires.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 09:33 PM
palace1913
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
So what did your Indy tell you about your tire wear? Surely he gave you his opinion about the wear rate for your car. Normal? Driving style? Cabriolet?
What was his recommendation to you?
Normal. Common. Expect to change tires every 10k...Porsche has some pretty aggressive settings.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:48 PM
palace1913
Advanced

Originally Posted by Thundertub
So what did your Indy tell you about your tire wear? Surely he gave you his opinion about the wear rate for your car. Normal? Driving style? Cabriolet?
What was his recommendation to you?
Comments attached.
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by palace1913
Indy put it on the rack and found no issues with the alignment.
My experience with both my Boxster (after going through uncounted tires after nearly 250K miles of driving this car) and my Turbo (with now over 70K miles on my 'watch' and I'm starting to get tire experience with this car too, now) is that inner edge rear tire wear is an alignment problem. Everytime I'd observed this the before and after numbers mainly differ in the rear toe in settings.

(In fact, this last road trip the car starting making what I thought was a bearing noise and I took the car to OKC Porsche (Bob Moore Porsche IIRC) and the shop forman test drove the car and said the noise was tire noise, *front* tire noise. The inner edges of the front tires are showing signs of some feathering/cupping and this is a sign of alignment. I asked about having the car aligned then and there but the service manager told me the alignment's not bad enough to do it now, the alignment could wait until the rear tires are in need of replacing at which time I'll replace all 4 tires and have the Turbo aligned.)

I do not want to speak ill of your indy but I wonder if he's as savvy about these cars, their alignment, as he ought to be.

Giving the indy the benefit of the doubt the only other thing that can account for the tire wear is your driving style. Since I'm very aware of tire wear and seek to maximize tire life (I like to save the tires for long road trips not wearing then out around town) I tend to drive rather conservatively in town.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:57 PM
palace1913
Advanced

Originally Posted by Macster
My experience with both my Boxster (after going through uncounted tires after nearly 250K miles of driving this car) and my Turbo (with now over 70K miles on my 'watch' and I'm starting to get tire experience with this car too, now) is that inner edge rear tire wear is an alignment problem. Everytime I'd observed this the before and after numbers mainly differ in the rear toe in settings.

(In fact, this last road trip the car starting making what I thought was a bearing noise and I took the car to OKC Porsche (Bob Moore Porsche IIRC) and the shop forman test drove the car and said the noise was tire noise, *front* tire noise. The inner edges of the front tires are showing signs of some feathering/cupping and this is a sign of alignment. I asked about having the car aligned then and there but the service manager told me the alignment's not bad enough to do it now, the alignment could wait until the rear tires are in need of replacing at which time I'll replace all 4 tires and have the Turbo aligned.)

I do not want to speak ill of your indy but I wonder if he's as savvy about these cars, their alignment, as he ought to be.

Giving the indy the benefit of the doubt the only other thing that can account for the tire wear is your driving style. Since I'm very aware of tire wear and seek to maximize tire life (I like to save the tires for long road trips not wearing then out around town) I tend to drive rather conservatively in town.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Maybe it's my driving style..perhaps the front adjustment affected the rear tires. Attached are the before and after specs. LEFT=Before, Right=After.
Attached Images   
Old 12-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you were quoting a price for two new rear tires (10K). Whew!
Old 12-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Given the number of similar printouts I've seen all of which have had the rear toe, either total toe or the toe on just one rear wheel, out and the front alignment numbers good that printout with front tire alignment obviously the issue is quite a surprise.

Based on your printout, it could very well be the front alignment is affecting the rear tire wear.

While I have never had any front end alignment issues with my Porsches, 'til now, I may have a chance to get some direct experience.

On a recent road trip in my Turbo I heard noise (at freeway speeds) that at first I thought was a wheel bearing, but the shop foreman at the OKC Porsche dealer test drove the car and said the noise was from the front tires, which were experiencing a bit of inner edge wear, cupping/feathering (one could feel it with one's hand), due to a slight case of front end misalignment.

I asked about having the car aligned and was told the alignment -- based on the degree of cupping/wear in evidence -- was not bad enough to be worth the cost of an alignment -- and the alignment is best done with new tires installed -- and it would be ok to continue to drive the car and when the rear tires were due to be replaced which would then trigger the fronts being replaced too, to have the alignment done then.

So, I now know I have a car with some front end alignment issues and I'll see what if any effect this has on the rear tire wear.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:26 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

My experience is that the inner edge of the rear tires will wear more quickly than the outside edge when the vehicle is perfectly aligned. I switched to a less aggressive alignment and have enjoyed longer tire life at the expense of a little handling.

I'm just saying that the rear tires on a 996 not wearing perfectly evenly isn't necessarily an example of something being wrong--it often means that everything is RIGHT.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:09 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the X73 and I can get to a minimum of -2.1 camber on the left and -1.9 on the right. I have both set to -2.1 so I am expecting some additional inner tire wear. The car sure handles nice though.

If you have a lowered suspension, it tends to increase the minimum negative camber unless you have adjustable control arms.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:59 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

12-15k is average I see, 18 is on the high side. Some do take the cars in and have the alignment set more neutral, but it will detract a bit from steering response. It depends on driving style. Some do performance all-seasons instead as the rubber compound is usually harder. You will get more life from them as opposed to a summer-only tire.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:23 PM
vange_c4s
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not to be a turd in the punch bowl, but:

you said:
======================
12-15k is average I see, 18 is on the high side. Some do take the cars in and have the alignment set more neutral, but it will detract a bit from steering response. It depends on driving style. Some do performance all-seasons instead as the rubber compound is usually harder. You will get more life from them as opposed to a summer-only tire.

well my experience is previously posted:

new set of ps2 @ 11.3k miles. i swapped them out for snow tires @ 23.2k miles. thats 11.9k miles. rears down to 3/32", fronts still very good. i thought the ps2 might last a bit longer - at least with my experience on my 540i. new rear ps2 going on this spring.
84 audi gt coupe
73 saab ems
pca member
=====================

so tire rack web site says (where i have done much positive business)
====================

Warranty for tires purchased on or after 03/01/11 Treadlife Warranty: 6 Years / 20,000 Miles
Half mileage for rear if different size than front
====================

so damon i need a new set of rears in the spring (pirelli snowsports now). does my warranty cover 8000miles? please advise.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

After the almost-new rear tires that came with my car were almost bald in <10K, I changed out all four for a set of all-seasons. Cost me a grand for all four, and so far after 8K they show no measurable wear whatsoever. I saw no reason to buy expensive, fast-wearing tires for suburban driving at (according to the on-board computer) a cumulative average speed of 27.5 mph
Old 12-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't run over a six inch piece of metal drywall stud doing 130kph and you'll get better wear rates...

Quick Reply: OK. It's really 10k for the rear tires.