Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil leak 99 996. I think the dealer trick me.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 03:40 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak 99 996. I think the dealer trick me.

I just bought a 996 from a used car dealer in Toronto. I don't know that much about cars, and it seemed like there was some oil leak. It was a good price so I ended up buying the car but when i got home and took it to the mechanic it didn't look so good. It looks like there is oil leaks on both sides of the engine.

The car only has 82k KM or 55k Miles on it. So everything around it looks almost like a new. thats how i got tricked.

Does anyone know what it could be ? and how to repair it? do i need to take the whole engine out.

Also there was some yellow goo in the oil supply plastic. Is that some additive to hide the oil leak?
Attached Images         
Old 12-12-2011, 04:01 PM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

How were you tricked into buying the car? Looks to me that you didn't do your due diligence. First off that yellow goo is water. Could be condensation or coolant. Pull the dipstick if the dipstick looks like that then you have a problem. The oil looks to be sparkplug tubes. I'm on an iPhone so I can't see the picture too well. Nothing major if that what it is have the o rings change along with the plugs. Remember this car is almost 13 yrs old and things deteriorate even though it only has 55k on it.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:19 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

Post photos of the car, please.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The goo or milkshake could be lack of driving at temperature ie. condensation or something much worse. Oli leaks might be any number of things. Did you have a PPI done or did you just buy the Porsche on implulse?
Old 12-12-2011, 04:54 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Originally Posted by babylonboots
Post photos of the car, please.
no, didn't have a PPI done, just looked at it it was the cheapest one i saw in the last 3 months of searching even getting one from USA with duty and hussle of driving a new car from texas/florida/california and then worrying about getting safety and emmision. The guy thrown in a after market 2 year http://www.lubrico.com/coverage.html Lubrico Limited superior Protection warranty. But not sure about the warranty. If i go in 3 months, i read some of the fine print and its like if I overheated the engine it won't be coverd etc.. so might be hard to get them to pay for seals and gasket change even tough its covered. they will come up with some execusses.

The dipstick looks good, nothing to complain about.

I drove a 98 boxster before this for almost 3 years. So i checked all the stuff that was wrong with the boxster and it was all good except a repaint in the back (but i seen repaints in 3/4 cars i saw), I also have my own PST2, i connected that no errors, not even missfires.

Also can i clean off that oil? Just get foam engine grease remover, spray it on and get like a steamer to remove the residue?
Attached Images     
Old 12-12-2011, 05:09 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Goo on oil cap is condensation from not running the car up to operating temps long enough. Clean it up and DRIVE the car and see if it comes back. Also check the coolant tank. If it looks good too then you should be OK.
As to the leak it could be just leaking spark plug tubes. Pretty cheap fix. Take it to an indy and they should be able to tell your where the leak is coming from.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:00 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Originally Posted by function12
Goo on oil cap is condensation from not running the car up to operating temps long enough. Clean it up and DRIVE the car and see if it comes back. Also check the coolant tank. If it looks good too then you should be OK.
As to the leak it could be just leaking spark plug tubes. Pretty cheap fix. Take it to an indy and they should be able to tell your where the leak is coming from.
Thats such good news if its only spark plugs tube i guess the part number is 996 602 103 01 (spark plug connector), i guess I don't need the ignition coil. I can't find the part for the o-rings couple people mentioned.

Also is there good instruction for spark plug change? I looked at the forums here but not too much, cant find anything in the Technical 996 Manual (there is a part about removing spark plugs -GT3).

Trending Topics

Old 12-12-2011, 07:10 PM
rb101
Racer

wipe out the filler tube and change the oil and drive the car to remove the condensation from the oil. As for the leaks replace the seals on the spark plug tubes (leaks on the sides) and look into IMS bearing replacement and new RMS.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

As others have said, the "mayonnaise" in your filler tube occurs when our car is driven short distances without warming up to normal operating temperature. It happens more frequently during cold weather months. Condensation in your engine causes the oil in the filler tube to emulsify, creating this goo. Drive it hard at operating temperature on a regular basis and you shouldn't see this again because you'll burn off the condensation.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:28 PM
mikes_996
Instructor

don't worry too much.. you've got a warranty!
Old 12-12-2011, 07:36 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikes_996
don't worry too much.. you've got a warranty!
"warranty"
Old 12-12-2011, 10:26 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeswift
"warranty"
this one?

The guy thrown in a after market 2 year http://www.lubrico.com/coverage.html Lubrico Limited superior Protection warranty.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:49 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Spark plug tube threads.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...acement-2.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...s-coils-2.html
Old 12-12-2011, 10:55 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Originally Posted by kromdom
this one?
yeah that one... i think they will come up with 100+1 excuses not to pay out. and with all the fine print it might be too easy for them. that's why the air quotes.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:07 PM
spender
Pro

no, didn't have a PPI done, just looked at it it was the cheapest one i saw in the last 3 months of searching

Quick Reply: Oil leak 99 996. I think the dealer trick me.