Sponsored by:

Correcting Off Center Steering - Tie Rod Adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:46 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Correcting Off Center Steering - Tie Rod Adjustments

The steering wheel on my 996 is slightly off center, the wheel needs to be turned a little left to track dead straight, and I’m going to adjust the tie rods a bit to center the wheel.

My question is: does anyone have an idea as to how I can measure the turn of each tie rod adjustment screw so that I adjust them exactly the same(but in opposite directions) on each side? My first thought was to mark the wrench and then measure from the garage floor on each side, the starting point and ending point of the turn of the wrench. I do not want to change my alignment at all, so I need to make sure that each tie rod adjustment screw is turned the exact same amount.

TIA for any suggestions.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:11 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Watching for an answer myself since the place that did my alignment a few weeks ago also didn't center my wheel perfectly. Really annoys me to see the wheel turned slightly to the left when I'm going straight!
Old 12-11-2011, 01:46 AM
scubadawg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't play with the alignment, take the steering off, and ajust it that way, it might be off by a couple of cogs.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:26 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by scubadawg
Don't play with the alignment, take the steering off, and ajust it that way, it might be off by a couple of cogs.
This is NOT the proper way to do it. Also, removing the wheel and turning it even one notch will most likely be too much if your steering is only slightly off center.

If you loosen the locking nut on the tie rod and then carefully turn the adjusting screw the same amount on both sides(in the appropriate opposite direction of course) you will not affect the alignment.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:29 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by AndyK
Watching for an answer myself since the place that did my alignment a few weeks ago also didn't center my wheel perfectly. Really annoys me to see the wheel turned slightly to the left when I'm going straight!
I hear you Andy, it can really be annoying.

If you recently had the alignment done , I'd take it back and make them fix it. They should make it right IMHO. Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:55 AM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
This is NOT the proper way to do it. Also, removing the wheel and turning it even one notch will most likely be too much if your steering is only slightly off center.
this...pulling with steering wheel will not work especially if you're just a little off. Mines moved a little off center...it seems like another alignment is due as my front toe seems a little off also....I'm gonna blame it on all the pot holes on 422 haha
Old 12-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
The steering wheel on my 996 is slightly off center, the wheel needs to be turned a little left to track dead straight, and I’m going to adjust the tie rods a bit to center the wheel.

My question is: does anyone have an idea as to how I can measure the turn of each tie rod adjustment screw so that I adjust them exactly the same(but in opposite directions) on each side? My first thought was to mark the wrench and then measure from the garage floor on each side, the starting point and ending point of the turn of the wrench. I do not want to change my alignment at all, so I need to make sure that each tie rod adjustment screw is turned the exact same amount.

TIA for any suggestions.
It has been some time since I last did this and I've never done it for my Porsches but I was able to correct/adjust steering wheel centering by adjusting the tie-rods.

I didn't bother with how much movement comes from a turn of the tie-rod end.

I measured from the front of the tire over to a spot under the car and noted the dimension. I repeated this measurement from the other front tire to the same point and then adjusted the tie rods to shorten the longer distance and lengthen the shorter distance.

If you do go this route -- and I do not recommend it -- sneak up on the final setting.

My advice would be to take the car to an alignment shop and have the job done right and always in the future specify the steering wheel be centered.

However, a shop that deserves your alignment business shouldn't have to be told this... centering the steering wheel and checking it remains centered during the alignment process is part of a proper Porsche alignment.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Correcting Off Center Steering - Tie Rod Adjustments