996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cooked Piston? Damaged oil spray jet!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 02:18 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cooked Piston? Damaged oil spray jet!

While taking some bearing measurements I discovered a small problem!

Underneath a crank bearing journal the piston cooling jet for cylinder #2 was badly damaged.

There was a small aluminum (not ferromagnetic) shard embedded in the jet. It measures about 5mm x 2mm x .25mm and was lodged into the jet enough to require tweezers to remove it, in other words it didn't just "fall out" on it's own. No idea where that shard came from! Someone mentioned perhaps a manufacturing defect.

Once the shard was removed, I can see the hole appears to be totally damaged and is nearly completely welded shut, certainly severely limiting or even preventing oil spray for the #2 piston. You can see the damage clearly on old vs. new (and other functional jets).

Could this be the root cause for the (overheating and subsequent) oil fouling in cylinder #2 where it was the worst? And perhaps because of it's proximity and heating affects on #1 and #3, causing premature wear and failure or loss of oil control in those cylinders as well?

Old 12-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Where did that spike of aluminum come from? You're way beyond my comfort limits. No doubt the experts will chime in. GL
Old 12-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Casting flash from case or heads?? I always grind down excessive flash, usually some in the chain area of the heads. Sure chewed up that squirter!
Old 12-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by logray
While taking some bearing measurements I discovered a small problem!

Underneath a crank bearing journal the piston cooling jet for cylinder #2 was badly damaged.

There was a small aluminum (not ferromagnetic) shard embedded in the jet. It measures about 5mm x 2mm x .25mm and was lodged into the jet enough to require tweezers to remove it, in other words it didn't just "fall out" on it's own. No idea where that shard came from! Someone mentioned perhaps a manufacturing defect.

Once the shard was removed, I can see the hole appears to be totally damaged and is nearly completely welded shut, certainly severely limiting or even preventing oil spray for the #2 piston. You can see the damage clearly on old vs. new (and other functional jets).

Could this be the root cause for the (overheating and subsequent) oil fouling in cylinder #2 where it was the worst? And perhaps because of it's proximity and heating affects on #1 and #3, causing premature wear and failure or loss of oil control in those cylinders as well?
It is certainly a possibility. Being able to hook up an external oil pump and compare the output from that jet to those of the others could help one make a more certain determination.

While the flow looks to be restricted, generally the oil delivery produces a surplus of oil and what limits the amount of oil is the size of the actual jet or orfice that aims the oil at where it should be aimed.

Porsche claims the oil jets lower piston temps by 50C (122F) which is no small amount of heat considering the oil may already be at nearly 200F or even more in places.

I could imagine that if the piston was indeed receiving inadequate oiling from the jet due to the shard of metal that could be at the root cause of the engine's troubles.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:23 AM
speed rII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some reason, I'm having a hard time to believe that the shard would have came from the engine internals.
I would say it was on the jet when it was installed in the engine.

I have seen the vid about the engine build at Porsche, and they use robots on some parts.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:38 AM
dreamerak
7th Gear

That's some damn good photography!
Old 12-09-2011, 10:32 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazing Photography!! Gotta wonder if it was there from the beginning.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Scarab440
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dreamerak
That's some damn good photography!
seriously great job on the pics.

Quick Reply: Cooked Piston? Damaged oil spray jet!