Sponsored by:

Another F'ing Stereo Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Another F'ing Stereo Thread

I apologize profusely up front for bringing up another stereo thread but I am stuck and search didn't help me. Ok, here is the deal. Tonight I swapped out my stock Becker head unit for a nice Sony. Everything went swimmingly with the harness and stuff from Crutchfield. Here is where I am stuck. My 2000 996 has the DSP thing. My new unit will not get sound to the speakers with the DSP unplugged. I plug it back in and everything is right with the world and it sounds great.

Obviously the DSP is not directly connected to the stock head unit as it is out of the car. I need to get rid of this DSP thing so I can complete my cupholder install and move the A/C to where the DSP thing sits. What the hell does it connect to and how can I remove it so I can have sound?

Forgive my newbiness but I really have no idea what the hell I am doing!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:34 PM
kr3678
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disregard my former question.

The factory head unit connects to the DSP unit through the yellow plug in the car's harness. I assume you used an RCA output adapter to connect with this yellow plug.

I have not pulled the DSP unit out of the dash, but there must be a connection between the DSP unit and the factory amplifier. I would think it would also be a yellow plug, but I haven't verified that.

It seems to me that what you want to do is bypass the DSP unit. I am guessing that you can move the RCA output adapter from behind the radio down to the point where the DSP connects to amplifier. Then you could use standard RCA patch cords to run from the new head unit to the adapter.

Remember, this is speculation on my part as I have not removed the DSP unit from my car.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:28 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

The yellow plug (dsp wire) goes to the amp? That should have been obvious. I have a bunch of unused rca's on the new harness. I will trace the DSP wire back to the amp and see if I can run some simple rca's out of it. I haven't looked closely at the amp to see what connections it has. But, you have led me in the right direction and I really appreciate the help!
Old 11-30-2011, 05:40 AM
mikes_996
Instructor

You can have it running.. You'll need to buy an audi metra connector to allow it to work... I'll have to look in the garage in the morning to find out which connector it is. But what it does is it makes the dsp connections plug into the rca outs of the sony deck so it gets the signals and pushes it out as the music. Easy install just need the right connections. Also on that particular adapter you will need to switch out two wires...
Old 11-30-2011, 03:02 PM
mikes_996
Instructor

Here is the parts you'll need... Metra brand, PN: 70-1787 (VW/Bose AMP Integration), and the Euro antenna adapter kit from Scosche, PN: VWA-KB (Volkswagen Antenna Adapter Kit)... Cheapest place to buy would be ebay..
Old 11-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Mike!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

I need some more help folks. My stereo install went great and everything was working great. Moved the A/C control to bottom slot, etc. Today at work, the alarm went off by itself. A quick search on rennlist led me to the brown and blue wire that is attached to the console. I unplugged the spade connector hoping it would bypass the alarm issue. Now the car won't start. I tried plugging the spade connector back in and still no start. Now I have broken the tab off the console where this thing plugs in. Battery is good as well as fuses. Any ideas?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Disregard my last. The one fuse I didn't check was the culprit. Car starts and one beep alarm fault gone. Next time I wont post on the fly until I have exhausted all options.

Quick Reply: Another F'ing Stereo Thread