996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

First Dyno run with custom SC-Problem #'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone seen a excel spreadsheet xls that can draw graphs using Durametric software data for tq/hp/afr, Brockway uses there or odb2 port and believe even NB O2 sensors and figure out what your afr is etc.

The only one I have found that maybe can do it by importing excel data but have not got it to work.

Last edited by Mother; 12-10-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:42 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Excel has graphing integrated, but it is somewhat a manual process.

I looked into calculating the AFR but if I remember right to do it in something like the spreadsheet you posted on renntech it required more software and wideband sensors.

I would be curious if you find the solution!

Last edited by logray; 12-11-2011 at 01:26 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

I think you are right I have tried this excel importing xls file maybe you have better luck it's the zip file.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...raphing-tools/

I do think I need a wide-band sensor but I was under the impression that Brockway odb11 setup plugs in and can use our narrow-band sensors to get the afr maybe wrong here but you can tell about where you are with voltage of the o2's. When using real time values with the durametric you can see the graph of parameters that you are tracking via graph in the program but when exporting all I end up is the data gets to be frustrating.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:47 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, that is a pretty intense spreadsheet and it looks like some parts might be missing to make it work, I get an error about missing activeX controls.

Anyhow, maybe this will help.

I'm sure you know this already but if you are driving around or even parked idle, you should have your laptop connected to a power inverter otherwise Durametric will not log data as frequently (which is also a parameter you can change within software).

Once you've logged your data, it should be possible to work out the formulas to calculate and graph the AFR.

Here's a thread from the turbo forum about what to log and how to calculate AFR from Durametric data.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post3379343

"Rich versus lean, why lean makes more power but is more dangeros
A stoichiometric AFR has the correct amount of air and fuel to produce a chemically complete combustion event. For gasoline engines, the ratio is 14.7:1, which means 14.7 parts of air to one part of fuel. This ratio is dependent on fuel type-- for alcohol it is 6.4:1 and 14.5:1 for diesel.

Durametric reports lambda - a percentage of AFR based on the stoichiometric ratio. To report the proper AFR from Durametric, multiply the pre catalytic actual lambda by 14.7. For example, a lambda of 0.78 gives a AFR of 11.47:1 (0.78 * 14.7 = 11.47.)"
Old 12-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

With the spreadsheet open try on menu bar excel tools-options-under security button choose macro security and pick lowest setting to allow the active x buttons to work then you can work with importing your durametric data etc. Thanks for the conversion on AFR. PS I do use a separate power converter connected to the cigarette lighter. Most of the info I read is that they use wideband for AFR and not sure of the correlation as of yet to narrowband.

Last edited by Mother; 12-11-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

I am thinking out of the box becasue I know little about doing any super charger work. so this may sound silly. But to me sounds very plausable

Couldnt you tap in a pressure fitting from a shop compressor and put your pressure to it and see if it holds? I was thinking this may not work becasue an exhaust valve may be open. But no exhaust and intake valve would be open at the same time... So it should hold pressure. And the motor wouldnt be running so you could hear what was going on.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

I had a smoke test check and repaired couple of leaks however this test does what you are speaking of and the tech told me it was ok..I think he used around 10psi.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:42 AM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe you're not using a real wideband. This is such a cheap fail safe sensor that is needed, IMO, when boosting any car. I always have to know what my AFR is at all times when I am running that kind of setup bc something can go wrong at anytime so that way you will know when to shut it down before it is to late. I mean they're only 225 for a standalone kit that can be plugged into most every tuning software. I'm surprised the tuner even wanted to tune your car on a narrow band.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trendy996
I can't believe you're not using a real wideband. This is such a cheap fail safe sensor that is needed, IMO, when boosting any car. I always have to know what my AFR is at all times when I am running that kind of setup bc something can go wrong at anytime so that way you will know when to shut it down before it is to late. I mean they're only 225 for a standalone kit that can be plugged into most every tuning software. I'm surprised the tuner even wanted to tune your car on a narrow band.
I agree with you here is my PayPal account so you can pony up: Ineedwideband@www.webbspot.com
Old 12-13-2011, 05:48 PM
trendy996
Banned

haha
Old 12-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 100 Posts

In all seriousness, you can't get an accurate AFR from a narrowband sensor when you're outside of it's range. If you're not going to run a wideband during normal operation you should be running it on the dyno (which I think you are). Things won't change all that much after you get things tuned (unless something fails), but at this point you don't even have a base tune setup if I understand your posts so far. I really wouldn't be running this car until I got things sorted out in a safe environment (dyno or no-load street driving).
Old 12-13-2011, 08:49 PM
trendy996
Banned

Curious. Why didn't you go with vf file from GIAC for 1200 as where fvd is 900 and you are having these issues? Not saying it is tuning related to your issue but it would rule that out to have a solid tune that doesn't need to be sent back and forth.
Why is there a need for a ohm resistor in the maf when the car is supposed to be 'tuned'?
What injector brand/size are you using?
What size is your pulley?
Are you running an upgraded fuel pump?
Just wondering on those questions as I'm looking into picking a kit up as well.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 PM
trendy996
Banned

A base map is basic "safe" settings in each tuning window and is usually only tuned up to a certain rpm so you can drive your vehicle to a tuner. It's main point is to get you started. Not really to run flawless.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trendy996
Curious. Why didn't you go with vf file from GIAC for 1200 as where fvd is 900 and you are having these issues? Not saying it is tuning related to your issue but it would rule that out to have a solid tune that doesn't need to be sent back and forth.
Why is there a need for a ohm resistor in the maf when the car is supposed to be 'tuned'?
What injector brand/size are you using?
What size is your pulley?
Are you running an upgraded fuel pump?
Just wondering on those questions as I'm looking into picking a kit up as well.
Loads of info on my build:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-tuning-6.html

The VF program is not customizable and not sure it would work on my car and no guarantee.
Short Story at the time FVD said they could tune and where also had a tuner in Florida (now obsolete) and if I purchased there durametric software for on the road dyno logging parameters and there tuner would tune, however what I ended up with is a basic flash and no tuning that helped they just played with the AFR and with little to no correspondence - I would not use them again because they just have not done it before I did get a flash that works with my 48 LBS injectors. Stock fuel pump works fine depending on what HP you are trying to reach.

If you are picking up a kit then you will have everything you need but try to find someone local to install or should work fine if engine is in good working order?

The resistor is size depends on MAF voltage as close to 1V because of the extra air at idle and around 18-20 kg/hr mass air flow. The puleey etc in mentioned in above thread.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:18 PM
trendy996
Banned

I spoke with vf and they said they have had a 997s at 475 with the same kit but on race gas. I know it has a few more liters than us but...
They use 42lb bosch green injectors also. I asked about a 4-450 hp mark and they replied the oem pump can't handle that flow.
Is there not a GIAC dealer near you with a dyno? I know they have made plenty of custom files for Audi guys with custom setups.

I just find it weird you have to 'fool' the maf for a tune.
Sorry not going to read through 12 pages to see what size pulley you used but I'm assuming 3.25" since that is what the vf kit uses for 6psi.

I will be adding to the kit to run atleast 400 whp. I have all winter to gather my parts I will be using.
There are plenty of tuners and dyno tuners in my area with ones I am friends with as well so not worried as much. If I were you I would mimick as much as possible vf's kit to get it running right then tweak it to your liking since you are having major issues.

Quick Reply: First Dyno run with custom SC-Problem #'s