996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Size on o-ring to oil filler tube?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:11 AM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Size on o-ring to oil filler tube?

Hi guys,

I am currently putting my 996 back together after AOS and oil cooler replacement. Unfortuntely I misplaced my new oil filler tube o-ring, and the closest dealership is an hour away.

So, if anyone could share the size of the o-ring? Then I can go to the hardware store down the street instead.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Johan
Old 11-23-2011, 11:24 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Johan,

The one that goes on the engine block side is 42 X 4

The one for the oil cap is 51 X 4,5
Old 11-23-2011, 01:57 PM
porsches996
Instructor

Hi...Johan....

I also do have a very small oil leak coming from the AOS.

I bought the AOS and i still do not know if i will perform the replacement of the AOS by myself or let my mechanic do it for me.
I really like ot work on my car but you know.....

How was the replacement....Is it too hard to do it by our self or not... by the way i do have all winter long to fix it so...i'm really not in a hurry.

Thanks in advance

Robert
2000 C4
Old 11-25-2011, 01:21 PM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Logray, I realized I didn't say thanks, so thanks! Excellent, answered in 13 minutes! Mounted it, but I am still not finished enough to start it up.

Robert, if you have the winter to do it, I recommend you to go ahead and do it yourself. I paid a independent shop to change the AOS on my manual 996, and they charged me an obscene amount of money for the job. And the manual version is supposed to be easier.

With that lesson learned I decided to do it myself on my tiptronic 996, since I already needed to find the cause to my oil-in-coolant problem. I'm not done yet, but I have spent less than 10 hours on the car now, including changing out the oil cooler, which required to remove the right intake. Then I changed oil pressure sender unit, some coolant hoses, and removed the forward hoses to drain as much as possible of the coolant. I still have some work to do until I am done, maybe 2-3 hours.

However, I have done this spread out over 7 weeks, and because of that I don't remember how I am supposed to put it all together. That is the risk if you do it over the winter....

Regards,

Johan

Mvh Johan
Old 11-26-2011, 03:21 AM
porsches996
Instructor

Thanks Johan....

I will try to do it by myself...
Thanks again

Robert

Quick Reply: Size on o-ring to oil filler tube?