Sponsored by:

not an ims question -- swear

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:39 AM
stairmasterman911
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Default not an ims question -- swear

hey i knew if i put IMS in the title box i'd get more attention, but this is a question to see if anyone knows of a product that can touch up those nasty flaked off areas on our rear center consoles? would love to get a shiny new painted one from bumperplugs, but in the mean time this is driving me nuts! thanks
Old 11-17-2011, 12:24 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 336 Posts

I took my ashtray to Home Depot and had them match the color in a flat enamel. Works perfectly. Put a very small amount into a paper cup, just enough to cover the bottom of the cup. That way if it tips over, you won't have paint all over the place. Use a foam brush to apply.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean - I don't have any areas on my console that are flaked off. Was this caused by some specific event, or does it appear to just be wearing off or flaking off for no apparant reason?
Old 11-17-2011, 12:39 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's fairly easy to paint it yourself. There are several DIY threads on this.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:18 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My sport seatbacks and center console are looking pretty bad. The rubbery paint scratches easily and the black plastic shows through underneath.
I painted my ashtray just to see how it would come out. I used a silver color from pep-boys that someone out there recommended to match arctic silver. Sanded all of the rubbery stuff off. Then used a plastic primer, then sanded between light coats of silver. Finally clear coated over it. I'll update with the paint code when I get home if anyone is interested.

I think it looks fantastic. Very smooth and the color looks almost identical to AS.

I am debating on doing the whole center console like that and possibly the seat backs. I'd love to get bumper plugs to do it but they are pretty steep and I'd rather spend that money on performance/track time.

Quick Reply: not an ims question -- swear