Sponsored by:

Fastest way to R&R oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:12 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fastest way to R&R oil cooler

I just found a big streak of coolant coming from the cooler and I have a track weekend on Friday,Grrr. So what is the fastest way to get it out?

2002 C2 6 speed.

Has anyone done it with the trans still in the car? I really rather not drop the trans if I can. I have never replaced a cooler in a 996.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Old 11-14-2011, 12:52 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it were me I would go in from the top, going in from the bottom even with the transmission out might be cumbersome at best, working blindly. Not to mention getting to the bolts towards the front of the engine would be a PITA, one of them is sorta tucked under the intake manifold, and you might have to reach in from over the top of the manifold to get to it.

The going in from the top method.

Remove airbox, throttle body, and t plenum.
Siphon the P/S fluid, remove reservoir.
Remove A/C compressor (once the T/B and T-plenum are off, you can reach around and feel for the rear bolt).
Remove passenger side intake manifold (might require unbolting some other stuff, unclip engine temp sensor, unplug oil pressure gauge wires, etc).
Viola. 4 bolts and oil cooler easily accessible.

You might even be able to skip removing the aircon compressor and power steering reservior by dropping the engine an inch or two (loosen engine mount bolts off a little, but not too far!, support the engine safely from underneath). Then just unbolt the pssngr intake manifold. Small arms and hands would help here.

Dropping the transmission would take roughly about the same amount of time, but it's big and heavy and awkward doing it on the ground under the car. Not to mention you'll be cursing yourself on the top bolts in the bell housing.

Last edited by logray; 11-14-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:14 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Yeah, that is what I was thinking, 5 hours to R&R trans or 5 hours to go in from the top. I almost rather drop the trans, but if I do that then I would be compelled to do the clutch/flywheel, IMS, AOS and I don't have time to do all of that. So I might go in the top or I might roll the dice...

GRRR...
Old 11-15-2011, 10:47 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are estimating 10 hours of work, would it not be about the same to drop the motor?
Then at least you would have easy access to everything and maybe save a few skin scrapes!
Pete
Old 11-15-2011, 11:24 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Sh*t happens with R&R.... I would drop motor and tranny together.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:41 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Uggh, your telling me, I should of dropped the trans. This has turned into a nightmare. I hate being under the gun for this kind of ****. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:19 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

from what I remember you have a lift? should make things easier.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:52 PM
15psi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would go from the top. The compressor and PS are the pains. Seal up intakes ASAP. Lowering the engine a little, is not difficult and gives a lot of space.
Replacing oil cooler is the easy part. I put new oil cooler seals in when I pulled my engine for 100k service.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:40 PM
cardsrule
Pro

So the top is the way to go. Like I said I was trying to be quick as possible. All that has to be removed is the AC compressor, P/S res and the throttle body. I also moved the starter lead and engine harness out of the way and the cooler slipped under the pass side intake manifold. All and all not the worst job in the world. I hope to finish with the fluids and install the rear GT3 sway bar tonight and get in on the ground so I can test drive it tomorrow and make sure its ready for the track. I will take some photos of the 17" wheels I just had powder coated red, should look good with the black

I may drop the trans in the next few weeks to do the AOS, I will see if that made a difference.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:51 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice work.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:48 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Yeah I do have a two post lift. With out it I could not of got to the rear left bolt. I drove the car last night and seems ok, no leaks. I am going to drive it at lunch and then put it on a rack at work and do a final check before I head to the track tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Fastest way to R&R oil cooler