996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

WEVO 986 Engine Mount for a 996 Manual Transmission

Old 11-18-2011, 12:29 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by logray
I think that was a typo and you meant to say "is there", not "this there" right? If you meant "if", I'm not aware of any other engine carriers for the NA engine, but certainly there are solid engine mounts available in addition to the semi-solid's that have been pointed out.

If by "this" you mean the second pic in the first post that is a boxster engine mount carrier. The engine mount for the boxster inside of that carrier is actually the same for a 996 manual transmission.
no, we kind of took a left hand turn and starting talking about motor mounts.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the transmission mount go on my '03 996 manual 15 months ago. Foreign Affairs in Pompano Beach, FL, had previous experience with someone else not wanting to replace the whole assembly and used some kind of press to push the out the worn out bits and press in a the Porsche replacement part. I looked for the service ticket so I could relay the part #'s but can't find it. I had the RS motor mounts put in when the motor was rebuilt and I haven't noticed any ride harshness as a result. I have a stock suspension though. I did notice significant improvement when shifting however. A bigger improvement than when I had the Porsche short shift kit installed two years ago.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:20 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The part number for the OE mount is 996-375-055-05.

It is a rubber mount with metal cylinder surround.

Unless there is some sort of factory tool to do this, normally the transmission must be dropped and then the old one pressed out (and new one pressed in). At least this is how I did it, and read about several others doing it or having it done the same way.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

F/A fabricated their own tool to do it without dropping the transaxle. My DIY capabilities are limited to swapping street pads for track pads so I don't offer any more details. The owner is one of the founders of PBOC and has longtime PCA connections. I'll bet he'd share the details. His name is Bob Varela and his email bobv4n@aol.com. Website is famotorsports.com.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:08 AM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What did you decide to do about your transmission mount? Did you install the WEVO mount designed for the 986?

My transmission is out of the car now and needs a new mount. I contacted WEVO regarding fitment and they said since it is not designed for the 996 that can't speak for its suitability or if it will work. (I told them that sounded like an opportunity). If the mount for the 996 and the 986 are the same part number I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Just as an aside the Torque Solution mounts appear to be only for the TT mounts. I wonder if the C2 mount could be swapped for the TT mount allowing the use of the TS mounts?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:07 PM
mrdezyne
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the 101 projects for your 996 book, he shows cutting the metal band of the old mount and splitting the case to remove it without a press. Of course he goes back to press in the new one which requires removing the trans but if this Wevo is working it would be the ticket for an in car mount swap. Anyone have any updates?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:37 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW I have the Wevo orange transmission mount in my 996 race car along with OEM TT motor mounts. There is definitely more noise and vibration from the Wevo mount but the shifting is equally more precise and solid. And since you asked, I run OEM motor mounts because I've observed both a 996 and a Boxster pull timing on a dyno with solid and semi-solid mounts. Switched them out right there and both cars showed significant gains. There's knock sensors on top of the 996 motors and I assume the Boxster which would be the source....
Old 08-21-2014, 11:56 AM
laz74
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Function-First trans mount inserts are just as effective, and they are simpler, cheaper, and are infinitely easier to install - under 1 hr DIY on jack stands. Same benefits, and it comes in 2 hardnesses. Much more direct shifts and less bucking under on-off throttle application.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by laz74
The Function-First trans mount inserts are just as effective, and they are simpler, cheaper, and are infinitely easier to install - under 1 hr DIY on jack stands. Same benefits, and it comes in 2 hardnesses. Much more direct shifts and less bucking under on-off throttle application.
Going to second this. My stock mount on my 68k mile C2 was going soft, Not torn, but clear signs of sag, and cracks. I tossed in the yellow FF trans mount inserts, and the car is significantly improved. Have a set of their engine mounts going in, shortly, and I'm hoping that they're the "just right" solution.

-Jon
Old 06-30-2019, 06:22 PM
jfenton1001
1st Gear

Hi All - sorry to bring an old thread back to life but I thought I'd share my experience. I just replaced my transmission mount with the Wevo Boster/Cayman semi-solid engine mount. I can confirm it does work and slides right in without a press. I also chose to use the easy method of removing the original mount by cutting it out. Once I cut out the center of the mount (I just used a drill to hack up the rubber), I cut a groove in the mount casing to weaken it. I then carefully worked a flat-head screwdriver in between the mount casing and the transmission housing and basically crushed the casing and slid it right out. Pretty simple process. No special tools required and the transmission stayed in the car, just lowered slightly for easier access.

As far as driving impressions, I already have semi-solid engine mounts and can say the transmission mount did increase NVH significantly over the engine mounts alone. But I personally don't mind the NVH. In fact I actually think it sounds and feels pretty cool and makes the car a lot more fun to drive. It also makes the drivetrain feel very solid and responsive and improved shift feel. So if you don't mind NVH, I highly recommend it.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:54 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
FWIW I have the Wevo orange transmission mount in my 996 race car along with OEM TT motor mounts. There is definitely more noise and vibration from the Wevo mount but the shifting is equally more precise and solid. And since you asked, I run OEM motor mounts because I've observed both a 996 and a Boxster pull timing on a dyno with solid and semi-solid mounts. Switched them out right there and both cars showed significant gains. There's knock sensors on top of the 996 motors and I assume the Boxster which would be the source....
Seeming this thread has had a holy thread revival, i'll try my luck.

I have 964RS engine mounts - is there any way to check if the timing is being pulled with a PIWIS II? I remember JR saying something similar but the feel of the RS mounts can't be beaten... I'd still like to check though.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:20 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jfenton1001
I also chose to use the easy method of removing the original mount by cutting it out. Once I cut out the center of the mount (I just used a drill to hack up the rubber), I cut a groove in the mount casing to weaken it. I then carefully worked a flat-head screwdriver in between the mount casing and the transmission housing and basically crushed the casing and slid it right out. Pretty simple process. No special tools required and the transmission stayed in the car, just lowered slightly for easier access.
I much preferred to use the AGA Transmission mount removal tool;
http://www.agatools.com/part/porsche...ion-mount-tool

The AGA tool is incredibly easy to use and makes for a super quick mount change. In addition, there a couple members here on the forum that rent the mount for a small fee so there is no need to buy the tool yourself. Just a thought...

I'm glad that you are enjoying the new mount!

Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WEVO 986 Engine Mount for a 996 Manual Transmission