Sponsored by:

Best C4S upgrades?? Chime in!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:48 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Fister D sport mufflers are a wonderful upgrade, but not entirely practical as a gift...
I am sure Darin would be happy to accommodate a gift purchase program of some sort.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually I was going to post a similar topic. Seriously want some more HP, thinking of 200 cell cats, plenum and chip and call it a day. I have done the search and it is still hit and miss as to actual hp increases, but the consenus is 20-35hp with all of the above at best. I have the ssk, fisters and after the motor will add spacers and springs/alignment.
Better driver mod also in the spring. I like the n/a motors but understand that for all out power a turbo is the real only way to go.

Sorry, back on topic, ssk, guage rings, floor mats, rennline track mats would be my picks.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:13 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's sequence of what I did with sometimes year or two in between. (totally subjective butt dyno only!)
1) Giac flash and Evom air intake gave slightly higher redline before fuel cutoff and wicked howl from 4000rpm to redline. Felt slower at lower rpm's probably less torque than before. (but the howl is AWESOME)
2) Headers and mufflers (fabspeed) maybe a bit more upper rpm oomph
3) IPD plenum, i know there are a lot of skeptics on this and sincerely i was on the fence for a year before deciding to buy it. I really have to admit that I am pleasantly surprised. I believe that because of the previous mods the plenum may have closed the loop but absolutely do feel a difference in the way the car revs up to redline now is faster and the car feels faster but again this is purely my butt dyno speaking...but I am very happy with the car now.
Peter
p.s. the X74 suspension was an eye opener as to how amazing the car can get with the suspension tuned in. The car is completely different in character and in a few words so beyond my driving capabilities now!!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:40 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

^ I would flash the ECU as the last mod. Do all the bolt ons first.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Airrik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also try a RSS pulley kit. Pulleys always work because there is less strain on optimizing engine performance plus everything else mentioned above. Someone on 6Speed bought this and made a bit of a difference for only $150 how can you go wrong?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:18 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I've done it all. Dollar for dollar, the best upgrade was the SSK in that I still notice and appreciate it years later. Can't really say that for the flash or the breathing mods which are fun for the first few days before they become 'normal'. Second best were the RS motor mounts. Fantastic bang for the buck. They somehow pulled everything else together, for me, anyway.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PSS10s were my favorite upgrade. Along with a new set of wheels . . .
Old 11-16-2011, 12:31 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since it is a gift, you need to consider something practical. The bigger upgrades like exhausts and suspensions are highly personal items. What one person loves, another might really dislike. Suspensions are the best overall upgrade, but expensive and personal.

That said, depending on budget, everyone likes the SSK. Great upgrade for the money. A day at the track is also great. That's what Mrs SSST gave me for my b-day this year and it was a blast.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

A nice set of pedals would be a good upgrade and a good gift too...
Old 11-16-2011, 02:55 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hyper911
Actually I was going to post a similar topic. Seriously want some more HP, thinking of 200 cell cats, plenum and chip and call it a day. I have done the search and it is still hit and miss as to actual hp increases, but the consenus is 20-35hp with all of the above at best. I have the ssk, fisters and after the motor will add spacers and springs/alignment.
Better driver mod also in the spring. I like the n/a motors but understand that for all out power a turbo is the real only way to go.
IMHO, horsepower is just a number, and gains are going to be meaningful only at speeds most of us will never see and only by fractions of seconds. Worse, a lot of mods that "add" horsepower do so at the expense of usable torque, which might be great for the track but not much fun on the road. I think the more satisfying way to mod a car at this level is to make it your own. Give it the character you want it to have in terms of how it feels to drive and how well purposed it is for the use it gets. That's what's going to matter every day.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Airrik
Racer

Originally Posted by BruceP
IMHO, horsepower is just a number, and gains are going to be meaningful only at speeds most of us will never see and only by fractions of seconds. Worse, a lot of mods that "add" horsepower do so at the expense of usable torque, which might be great for the track but not much fun on the road. I think the more satisfying way to mod a car at this level is to make it your own. Give it the character you want it to have in terms of how it feels to drive and how well purposed it is for the use it gets. That's what's going to matter every day.

Well said Bruce
Old 11-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dennis C
A nice set of pedals would be a good upgrade and a good gift too...
I agree. For $100!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes I know, it just hard to stop the mod bug coming from a much more powerful ride. I am getting the center console painted to match the exterior (professionally), have ssk, pedals, getting guage bezals and maybe the rennline track mats.
A little more HP and sound though would still be ok

Originally Posted by BruceP
Old 11-16-2011, 08:52 PM
BruceP
Drifting

In the 'tactile' category, I did the CAI, plenum, exhaust, ecu flash, RS motor mounts, SSK/short stack shift ****. You are correct. Noise and feedback are fun. A little more rowdiness suits this car. I just don't think about the numbers is all

Quick Reply: Best C4S upgrades?? Chime in!