Sponsored by:

Should I sell my 02 996 C2 for an 07 Audi RS4

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:42 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardback
Jake, keep the aero man. Driving a Porsche is way more visceral and rewarding....

Dresler, what's the story with the aero bits on your 4S?
Because it is a C4S, it has the factory turbo aerokit.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

My friend Chipster did the switch,if you like it /need the room it is a amazing car.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dresler
Because it is a C4S, it has the factory turbo aerokit.
Ok.... that means the rear decklid has been replaced and you no longer have the wide reflector.

I get it, turbo look... like the old days....

Did you make this conversion? Reason Im asking is Im curious if you notice any more stability at high speed with the turbo splitter and wing? Any noticeable stability gains?

Jake sorry to highjack the thread... Keeping the aero?
Old 11-15-2011, 01:58 PM
DDL24
Instructor

I owned a V8 S4 few years back. I know, it's not RS4....I thought I wanted one as I also owned a Turbo A4 for many years; loved the A4 but wanted more power so natually the S4..lots of power. bot the car and traded it after 6 month....it never spoke to me. It got enough power, quick, well made and the V8 sounded fantanstic. Something was missing....I didn't know what that "something" was till I drove a boxster last summer; then I see the light....currently hunting for a 911cab. What I am trying to say is, what are you looking for in RS4?...you already have a fast 4door daily driver....what makes the RS 4 so special? then why not try the V8 M3 or AMG? I like my sports car to be lighter, not necessarily high horse power, the cornering feel, the brake, etc. If you don't care about this...then 911 may not be the right car. there is not right or wrong choice.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:20 PM
SkydiveS4
Track Day

So... did you do it?

As someone who had been an "Audi Guy" for a number of years, and even managing a marque specific performance facility for some time, I would add this:

I owned:

Audi A4 (Mild Tune)
Audi S4 Sedan (Stage III)
Audi S4 Avant (Well beyond Stage III)
Porsche 993 C2 (Stock)

I now own:
BMW 335i Sedan (Tastefully Tuned)
Porsche 996 C4S (Stock)

I loved my Audis for that they were. I had a lot of fun with them. They are wonderfully techie, but finicky. They will ALWAYS need something. I will probably never own another own.

With its LSD, M3 Suspension, and Methanol Injection, my 335i is much faster than my C4S in terms of raw speed, and nearly on par in terms of handling, but I enjoy the Porsche driving experience. I would enjoy it more if it didn't come with the Porsche Drivers' stigma.

I wouldn't do it.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:32 PM
DDL24
Instructor

I owned A4 for many years and the V8 S4 for only 6 months but also spent sometime behind a tuned B5 S4.... but liked the feel of P cars after some brief test drives. still hunting for a 911 cab, as a second car..initially a 996 but browsing 997 now. I am jsut curious why OP wants to make the change....either one is great car...like California Cabs vs Bordeaux, personal preference.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DDL24
I owned a V8 S4 few years back. I know, it's not RS4....it never spoke to me.
I have a similar story but entirely different outcome. We "thought" we were downsizing to a condo with just 2 parking spots. We sold the V8 S4 and a WONDERFUL 1980 SC and replaced them with a super nice 993 C2. This was in conjunction with keeping an X5 as the DD.

Well, we ended up passing on the condo, bought another house and have missed the S4 everyday since.

I think the comment about either the OP is a Porsche guy or isn't a Porsche guy is dead on. I full appreciate changing cars on a routine basis and see the logic in a RS-4. Good luck to him. Great car and I am sure he will enjoy it until the next one.

Last edited by Hal; 11-15-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-15-2011, 05:49 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Life is too short not to try. A car is a toy after all. Try as many as you can afford through life. Keep the ones that make you giggle and move on when they don't. I sure miss some of my old cars, but I never regretted trying some new experience. Everybody will have an opinion, but it is your time to spend as you want. If you feel it is time to try and you've gotten what you wanted out of your P-Car, then by all means try something else.

Quick Reply: Should I sell my 02 996 C2 for an 07 Audi RS4