Sponsored by:

Should I sell my 02 996 C2 for an 07 Audi RS4

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I sell my 02 996 C2 for an 07 Audi RS4

Took a test drive and very tempted. Any feedback will be appreciated and yes I did a search on the forum already.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Totally different animals. Have you driven the RS4 yet?

-Eric
Old 11-12-2011, 01:59 PM
achtung911
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

^ he said he took a test drive... dude keep the carrera imo
Old 11-12-2011, 03:25 PM
jwar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend is selling his in Toronto. It's black on black with very low km. Like 20k.
Did you look at one like that?
Old 11-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If it will make you happier than the Carrera than go for it, they are really great cars!

I tried it once, sold a 951 and bought an S4, modified it quite a bit. It was a rocket. but I want back to another Porsche in a year.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:37 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy the RS4 and keep the carrera if finances allow. Thats what I currently drive. Two different animals. The RS4 is 4 wheel drive and a total beast! I needed a Sedan so this was a great compromise. Plus they have already taken the hit on depreciation so owning one is not too bad IMO.

Oh, get extended warranty. Check on previous history and see if Carbon Build up is there. I had my DeCarb (carbon clean) 1 month ago at 55k miles and its night and day now.

Good luck on the decision
Old 11-12-2011, 07:02 PM
tarzancoe
Instructor

Porsche is more special. Regardless of prices, features... your call.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:17 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

It depends what cars you have now. My S4 is irreplaceble in the winter time. Even more so in Canada, I dare to say. But the 911 is far more special. I must say that if I had to choose, the 911 is not a winter car, go with the RS. If you are set for the winter, I would keep the 911.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Yes, I gave it a good test drive, certainly a very different car. First impression...it was a heavy beast, great hanlding, comfort, fit and fiinsh and the V8 growl. Unfortunately I can't afford to keep both unless I win the lottery this weekend. LOL
I always liked the Audis and wanted a rarer model (can't afford an R8) and for the current market price on the RS4, I figured it would be a good opportunity to get into an 07 compared to my 02 car.

That having said, I just had the clutch flywheel, RMS, IMS, AOS, coolant reservior(less tan 2K km), water pump, plugs and coils done less than 5K km ago.

Kind of sucks to be moving into another vehicle now that the Porsche drives like new. The RS4 is one of the icons for Audi and the 996 seems like a dime a dozen these days. (Although mine looks sharp...LOL)

I have till Monday to decide...not sure what to do and will certainly miss this forum.

Last edited by Jake Ok; 11-12-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:36 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Sounds like you already made up your mind!
Old 11-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jwar
My friend is selling his in Toronto. It's black on black with very low km. Like 20k.
Did you look at one like that?

No, I wouldn't want to buy a black car again. This is a grey on blk with the CF interiior.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dresler
Sounds like you already made up your mind!

LOL...not really...sometimes change is hard and not always better.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by achtung911
^ he said he took a test drive... dude keep the carrera imo
hehehe...he did. Ooops.

To the original poster, the RS4 is a great car. As you've found, it sounds AMAZING, it's very comfortable and well appointed but it's also not without faults. It's very front heavy and not immune from that weight in its nose but it's still a great car. If you're itching for something different then I say go for it...especially if you like the appeal of AWD. You can always come back to a Porsche when/if you grow tired of it or just start itching for another Porsche.

Just don't fool yourself into thinking that it's a cheap car to maintain. Sure, you're giving up the IMS fear but RS4s aren't built like Hondas and they can be just as pricey to maintain as your C2 (especially since it sounds like you've already put a lot of time into your car).

As an aside, if you enjoy some of the 3rd party 'wow' factor of your Porsche just be prepared to lose it (Audi fanboys aside) since most people will dismiss it for a dime-a-dozen A4 with a loud aftermarket exhaust.

If it were me, I'd keep the Porsche and not because I care what other people think. My primary driver for the past 6 years has been my '05 Volvo S60R which is a great sleeper since 99.9% of the world dismisses it as a hum drum S60. The RS4 might be faster than your C2 and carry more people in greater comfort but I'd keep the Porsche because (IMHO) it's ultimately the better (and more special) car.

-Eric
Old 11-12-2011, 10:18 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
Just don't fool yourself into thinking that it's a cheap car to maintain.

-Eric
That's for sure.

and why is your name Sue if your name is Eric?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
hehehe...he did. Ooops.

To the original poster, the RS4 is a great car. As you've found, it sounds AMAZING, it's very comfortable and well appointed but it's also not without faults. It's very front heavy and not immune from that weight in its nose but it's still a great car. If you're itching for something different then I say go for it...especially if you like the appeal of AWD. You can always come back to a Porsche when/if you grow tired of it or just start itching for another Porsche.

Just don't fool yourself into thinking that it's a cheap car to maintain. Sure, you're giving up the IMS fear but RS4s aren't built like Hondas and they can be just as pricey to maintain as your C2 (especially since it sounds like you've already put a lot of time into your car).

As an aside, if you enjoy some of the 3rd party 'wow' factor of your Porsche just be prepared to lose it (Audi fanboys aside) since most people will dismiss it for a dime-a-dozen A4 with a loud aftermarket exhaust.

If it were me, I'd keep the Porsche and not because I care what other people think. My primary driver for the past 6 years has been my '05 Volvo S60R which is a great sleeper since 99.9% of the world dismisses it as a hum drum S60. The RS4 might be faster than your C2 and carry more people in greater comfort but I'd keep the Porsche because (IMHO) it's ultimately the better (and more special) car.

-Eric
Here is more dilema...I have a DD already and it will kick your S60R's butt..LOL. I have an 9-5 aero wagon stage 3 Nordic and my wife drive a 9-3 Viggen stage 4 and both are sleepers. The RS4 will not be a DD for me...maybe I'm just getting old?
I don't really care about attention or wow factor, if I did I would have considered an orange or electirc blue RS4..LOL

Quick Reply: Should I sell my 02 996 C2 for an 07 Audi RS4