Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hope this next fix cures your trouble Targan. GL
Old 11-11-2011, 09:58 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

#6 yes pain in the *** unless you are a contortionist midget with freakishly long and skinny arms and small hands.

The engine has to be lowered a bit, not sure if it can be done without unbolting lots of stuff, I would think P/S reservoir, A/C compressor, and passenger side intake manifold to start.

I would say 2-3 hours (but I'm guessing he's budgeting an extra hour).

Never tried it with engine in car though, so it might be good to get more opinions.

If you post a question on renntech (or perhaps if Loren is reading this), usually he can provide shop times for various repairs. I always like to compare my estimates with what the official Porsche book time is. And it's a good reality check to take to shop owners and ask them why they are charging a certain amount of money.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Targan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, back to square one!!!

Changed the fuel injector, replaced the spark plug and coil pack and still no luck. The error code is pointing to that same cylinder but out of ideas at this point as to what could be causing the mis-firing. It seems to be only getting worse.

My Indy said that he will get in touch with the Porsche representative for North America before shelling out more time and money on this. I am sort of worried now!

Would appreciate any help/advice from u guys.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:58 PM
15psi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why not get the injector cleaned and tested? 1/10 the cost. Get all of them done, while your at it.

Here is one place I've used. http://www.rceng.com/Fuel-Injector-Cleaning-P43C0.aspx

You might find a local shop.
I've also cleaned them myself, but time consuming.
This explains the process. http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/DIYF...orCleaning.htm
Old 11-15-2011, 05:59 PM
dotframe
Pro

Good luck!

This is a situation I fear because I would really have a hard time with the mis-diagnosis. I work in networking so I understand you can't always be right the first time. But after shelling out so much money and still no fix it has to be frustrating (not to mention the wife aspect for me)

I think at that point I would go from nice customer to *******.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Wow that really sucks! Do you know what trouble codes are coming up? P0306
for misfire cyl. #6 or anything else?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Targan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 15psi
Why not get the injector cleaned and tested? 1/10 the cost. Get all of them done, while your at it.

Here is one place I've used. http://www.rceng.com/Fuel-Injector-Cleaning-P43C0.aspx

You might find a local shop.
I've also cleaned them myself, but time consuming.
This explains the process. http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/DIYF...orCleaning.htm
Thanks for the links. Well, he replaced the injector and tested it let alone clean it. But the error code is still the same cylinder 6. So, am pretty sure at this point that it's not the injector.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:15 PM
15psi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Targan
Thanks for the links. Well, he replaced the injector and tested it let alone clean it. But the error code is still the same cylinder 6. So, am pretty sure at this point that it's not the injector.
Yeah, he snuck his post in as I was typing...LOL
Old 11-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Targan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dotframe
Good luck!

This is a situation I fear because I would really have a hard time with the mis-diagnosis. I work in networking so I understand you can't always be right the first time. But after shelling out so much money and still no fix it has to be frustrating (not to mention the wife aspect for me)

I think at that point I would go from nice customer to *******.
Dotframe,

Trust me, I am on the verge of losing it right now (wife is mad!!!) I know they are trying their best to do it right. But since this is my first major issue with the car, I am not sure what the typical practice is. Do u keep paying them for all the labor since they have put in the work or blame them for the mis-diagnosis and expect them to eat the labor time???

I am trusting them to know what they are doing based on the reviews From folks here but am wondering now if the dealer would have probably fixed it by now and cost me the same.

Dont know the anawer but Frustrated big time!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Targan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Wow that really sucks! Do you know what trouble codes are coming up? P0306
for misfire cyl. #6 or anything else?
Yep, the Code is P0306.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Targan
Intermediate

Bump!
Old 11-17-2011, 04:55 PM
dotframe
Pro

Honestly if it were me and they weren't really making good on the multiple mis-diagnosis I would probably cut my loses and look for another shop or bite the bullet and try the stealer.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:26 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has been to the dealer 4 times for a similar issue. Super rough on cold starts. Sometimes it bogs so bad it almost stalls.

The dealer has changed all the plugs, replaced 2 injectors with new ones, etc, etc. Problem is still there.

I don't get a CEL....but there is a misfire code in memory.

When I bought the car last year, they replaced 4 of the 6 coils. So the only thing left that I can think of, is those 2 remaining coil packs? Hopefully. Cause if not, I'm pooched.

Thank god for CPO.

Maybe, I'll give her to a P shop in LA while I'm down there...see if THEY can find the problem.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Targan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by seanmcr6
Mine has been to the dealer 4 times for a similar issue. Super rough on cold starts. Sometimes it bogs so bad it almost stalls.

The dealer has changed all the plugs, replaced 2 injectors with new ones, etc, etc. Problem is still there.

I don't get a CEL....but there is a misfire code in memory.

When I bought the car last year, they replaced 4 of the 6 coils. So the only thing left that I can think of, is those 2 remaining coil packs? Hopefully. Cause if not, I'm pooched.

Thank god for CPO.

Maybe, I'll give her to a P shop in LA while I'm down there...see if THEY can find the problem.
Thankfully, I don't have codes from other cylinders. After all this testing, it's not during the cold starts anymore. It starts mis-firing as soon as the engine is started. Earlier it was after idling for a few mins after starting the engine.

Checking the wiring harness now to see if that's okay. Hoping to know more in a day or two.

Quick Reply: Heavy Vibrations on cold start