Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Brake rotor recommendation, anyone have one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Big fan of Zimmermans on all my cars.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:03 AM
100plus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zimmermans Zimmermans Zimmermans Zimmermans Zimmermans Zimmermans Zimmermans Zimmermans
Old 11-01-2011, 12:07 PM
sprintamx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do, or intend to start any track time, then consider going slotted on all four corners since the drilled rotors will fill up with brake dust/debris. It's then a minor PIA, time consuming and in-your-face messy to clean out the holes. Whether or not the accumulation degrades heat management, off-gassing performance, and contributes to the legenday cracking, I'll let others debate. Regardless, the rotors are no longer effectively "drilled." If you don't or won't track, or don't mind the extra cleaning time, then there may be little point to buying anything other than the Zimmermans/OE. As others have said--and I agree--they work for their intended purpose.

Otherwise, I found slotted fronts by DBA, through Tire Rack, at roughly the same price as OE Zimmermans--no rear fitment available (at that time anyway). They've held up great so far through a 1/2 season of track and street time, and don't require any extra cleaning! When I'm ready to replace rotors again, I'll probably look at Sebro slotted for the rear corners. That's not a comment on Zimmerman/OE quality or pricing, it's just that I don't like drilled rotos and the additional maintenance/clean up requirments.

As with anything of this sort, YMMV.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:50 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

We carry Sebro Sport Rotors that are slotted for both the front and Rear.... Give us a call,

Last edited by LC MotorSports; 11-01-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: verbage... my bad ;-)
Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there any advantage to having slotted rotors as opposed to cross drilled? which ones are better?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Lerxst
Racer

Originally Posted by 82_930
Is there any advantage to having slotted rotors as opposed to cross drilled? which ones are better?
Originally Posted by sprintamx
If you do, or intend to start any track time, then consider going slotted on all four corners since the drilled rotors will fill up with brake dust/debris. It's then a minor PIA, time consuming and in-your-face messy to clean out the holes. Whether or not the accumulation degrades heat management, off-gassing performance, and contributes to the legenday cracking, I'll let others debate. Regardless, the rotors are no longer effectively "drilled.".

Quick Reply: Brake rotor recommendation, anyone have one?