Sponsored by:

Rough idle and CEL help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
Well, just to finish this thread off, THE FREAKIN CAMSHAFT IS BROKEN! So goes the most dependable Pcar I have ever owned BS. This same right side we replaced the lifters on about 2 years ago and now the end of the camshaft falls out when trying to replace a lifter. Absolutely stupid.
Broken camshaft not likely as the engine would not run because the valves on the side with the broken camshaft would be hit by the pistons.

What has probably happened is the VarioCam at the end of the intake camshaft has failed. The cam still turns it is just the VarioCam feature on that side that doesn't work.

Generally I consider the last thing touched suspect and I note the lifters on that side were replaced, but 2 years ago is a long time and anything done wrong at that time should have manifested itself before now.

Regardless, the problem is not fatal and can be addressed -- I believe (hope anyhow) -- with the engine in the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Broken camshaft not likely as the engine would not run because the valves on the side with the broken camshaft would be hit by the pistons.

What has probably happened is the VarioCam at the end of the intake camshaft has failed. The cam still turns it is just the VarioCam feature on that side that doesn't work.

Generally I consider the last thing touched suspect and I note the lifters on that side were replaced, but 2 years ago is a long time and anything done wrong at that time should have manifested itself before now.

Regardless, the problem is not fatal and can be addressed -- I believe (hope anyhow) -- with the engine in the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
That was my question is how was it even running. I will go by tomorrow and look at the pieces. Engine is still in the car. Cam is in Germany so it will be a few days. Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It could have been an expansion plug on the end of a camshaft that blew out.

Dharn had a similar thing happen to him, after putting too much pressure on the expansion plug with the cam lock down tool.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Nope, the cam was probably carcked and then came apart at the journal between 4 and 5 once unbolted. Unbelievable, and it has been 4 years almost 30,000 miles since the lifters were replaced on that side. Funny thing as we went looking for a used right side intake cam and there are none around....probably a good reason for this as there are plenty of left side ones?

This wasn't the idle problem so we are replacing all 4 lifters on #6. Can't make the missfire move to another cyclinder. At this point I just want a rough idle again!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:36 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
Well, just to finish this thread off, THE FREAKIN CAMSHAFT IS BROKEN!
Was the engine internals ever worked on before this incident?

I had my camshafts break on my bimmer but found out afterwards, PO worked on it and didn't torque down things properly.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alpine003
Was the engine internals ever worked on before this incident?
Nope
Old 11-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

OK Final verdict was most likely a sticking exhaust lifter as we only replaced the intake lifters 4 years ago. Really lucky this happened before the cam finished breaking into two pieces and ruining the motor most likely. So, one new intake cam also. A lot of money to spend on this car but it had to be done.

Hope nobody needs this thread in the future?
Old 11-09-2011, 08:21 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

well thats better than a busted cam shaft.... what causes a sticky exh lifter? carbon buildup?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:28 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe something stuck in the lifter hole (sealant/cam pad) or gunky oil or something?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redridge
well thats better than a busted cam shaft.... what causes a sticky exh lifter? carbon buildup?
It had a broken camshaft I got the car at a little less than 39,000 miles and in warranty. I am pretty sure the oil was being changed at the recommended intervals. I blame this on two lifter issues. What broke the cam, I / we have no idea?

Quick Reply: Rough idle and CEL help needed