Sponsored by:

comments on my tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:38 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
The toe is the killer usually. I had my toe closer to zero than factory spec. No inner tread wear issues.
Your cars have rear camber so that in a corner, under load, the contact patch increases. In a straight line rolling resistance is lower because less tire in is contact with pavement. The rears are toed in so that under heavy breaking the car doesn't wander. The car was designed with those set-up specs in mind taking them out will be at your own peril.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

vange,
Your rear tires look good. The wear pattern is completely normal. And the amount of tread you have left is good for the miles you have on them. The average miles for a set of rear tires is 7.5k miles to about 15k miles depending on how you drive the car. The rears wear out at twice the rate as the fronts. This is absolutely normal. So you would replace two sets of rears for every one set of fronts. When you do all four (always replace all four tires at the same time when you are planning to do four - do not try to squeeze a couple extra months on one set or the other) you should also get a full four wheel alignment. The factory recommends a full alignment every two years or when all four tires are replaced.

Those rears look like they have at least half of next summer left on them.

Happy driving!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:27 PM
vange_c4s
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thundertub,
i agree, two rears to one front.

ivangene,
i am afraid i will wear out the next set on half time too now that i am comfortable driving my car.

i think i am happy with the wear on these. unfortunatly an expensive wear item.

i appreciate all the replys

Quick Reply: comments on my tire wear