Sponsored by:

Question for the audio experts

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:29 PM
kr3678
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the audio experts

I have a 1999 Carrera 4 with Hi-Fi option and the DSP option. Unfortunately, this is paired with the cassette stereo and 6 disc changer. I don't really want to chop up the wiring, but I would like some of the features of a newer head unit.

It just so happens I also have a new in the box Blaupunkt Brisbane SD48 head unit. (Bought for another project; has yet to actually make it into the car...) The connectors on the back of the Blaupunkt appear to be the same as those on the back of the factory Becker radio.

Could it be as simple as pulling out the factory Becker and installing the Blaupunkt? Or will the amplifier section of the Blaupunkt wreak havoc on the rest of the system?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:30 PM
kr3678
Instructor

I knew I should have put IMS in the title... So, for future searchers out there, I shall answer my own question.

I ended up using the pre-amp signal from the Blaupunkt Brisbane SD48, bypassing its internal amplifier. Everything plugs in without having to cut a single wire. Even the antenna connection on the Blaupunkt radio matches what came from Porsche. To my ears, the sound is much clearer and stronger. The radio reception appears to be better as well.

The yellow pre-amp plug found in the car is exactly the same as the pre-amp harness that comes with the Blaupunkt. All of the speakers work and the DSP unit works.

The black lower plug with power connections is exactly the same physically, but there are two discrepancies between Porsche wiring and Blaupunkt radio. One pin that is unused in the Porsche wiring is "Telephone Mute" on the Blaupunkt radio. Another pin that is "Telephone Mute" in the Porsche wiring is labeled "Subwoofer" on the Blaupunkt radio. Since I am not using either a telephone mute signal or a subwoofer signal at this time, I just left them alone.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:57 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks for following up. Do you have any pics to share? I'm curious how the install looks.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,574 Likes on 985 Posts

Glad it worked for you. How about a photo of the new headunit?
Old 10-31-2011, 07:53 PM
kr3678
Instructor

Well I did have some pics on my iPhone, but their latest software upgrade wiped them out. I'll have to go get some pics with my digital camera and post them (the car isn't here at the moment). Probably tomorrow...
Old 10-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

What the heck is a radio?

Quick Reply: Question for the audio experts