Sponsored by:

Bits of metal in my oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:46 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PILFILR
Are you telling us that Porsche factory engines will shed metal bits for a while when new??
Originally Posted by avader906
**Any** new engine will, hence first oil change once broken-in.
****Hence the first oil change at about the 1,000 mile mark, about 1/2 way through the break-in period.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

We perform 3 oil services on our engines in the first 2500 miles... The first one at 300 miles and just after the chassis dyno- using our break in oil..

The OE fill oil is good for a full oil service according to the MFR... Thats the oil thats shipped in the engine. I'll post some pics soon on my site that will open some eyes.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:08 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
...We perform 3 oil services on our engines in the first 2500 miles... The first one at 300 miles and just after the chassis dyno- using our break in oil...
Hello Jake,

Since we have you here;

I'm going to be going through this soon after LNE does the Nikasil case rework on my engine (in a month or so).

Just so I get it right the first time.

1.) Fill with break in oil, break in engine according to break in procedures "before normal use".

2.) Drain break in oil, fill with synthetic, change at 300 miles. (Or would you recommend an LNE Brad Penn product, for example 20w50 versus Castrol 5w40)

3.) Fill will synthetic (I am going to use Syntec 5w40 or 10w40), change at 2500 miles.

Thanks in advance!

-Logray
Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

You should refer to the LN process.. The only thing thats worse than a lack of information is totally conflicting information.

I did the test work on the Nickies products in 2000 and shared the break in procedures with Charles as part of our collaborative relationship, but he has his own way of stating them. I have enough responsibility with our engines :-)
Old 10-17-2011, 10:33 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Understood and thank you!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

[quote=PILFILR;8950039]
Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

We received a factory engine in a crate and stripped it down without ever firing it up to build it into a fully optimized Grand Am race engine. It had this same material througout the internals; the used oil analysis didn't show any of the material elevations. The particulate evaluation did show these elevated levels and they were very high. I have pictures of the spankin' new internals covered with glittery oil.

QUOTE]

Are you telling us that Porsche factory engines will shed metal bits for a while when new??
Hell yeah. Any new engine will for some time after entering service will shed metal and other trash (mostly sealant in the case of our Porsches).

Even though this amount of material shed drops and can almost stop if the engine is opened up again it will resume some shedding.

I wish I had now made the effort to photograph the contents of my Boxster's oil filter housing oil and filter element after its first oil change after having the engine opened up for a new passenger side VarioCam solenoid and actuator. I'm sure there would have been some trash in the engine oil and filter.

I did take pics of the oil filter housing oil and filter element from my new 08 Cayman S after just 750 miles from new and the oil filter housing oil was filthy with metal debris, admittedly for the most part very tiny metal flakes. So much so the oil had a sheen from the 'metal flake'. The filter element was quite loaded with trash as well.

But the engine was running just fine. I then drove the car until around 1400 miles and changed the oil/filter again. Just a tiny hint of metal in the oil. So tiny that it would not photograph.

Then I at 2K miles (end of break in) I had the oil changed at the dealer and didn't even bother looking at the oil. The engine was running very strong and ready to roar. (Unfortunately, it never got a chance. A few days later the car was hit from the side by another car and totaled.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (01-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Bits of metal in my oil filter