Sponsored by:

My Upgraded Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Daryl Aarons
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Upgraded Suspension

It all started out because I just wanted to lower the car a bit for looks. Well, the next thing you know I'm looking into coilovers and sway bar kits. I figured, what the heck, I drive the car pretty hard, so let's get a suspension that can keep up. Besides, I wanted to dial out some of the understeer that I have experienced on occasion.

After consulting with a local shop, I ended up going with KW Variant 3 (V3) coilovers, Eibach sway bar kit and some rear links. The KW's have separate and independently adjustable rebound and compression damping that were left at the factory setting. The Eibach sway bar kit included an adjustable rear bar.

When I first picked up the car it was very obvious that the ride was much stiffer. The roads around where the shop was located are rough, and at slow speed, it felt like my tires had turned to solid rubber. I've had about four weeks to get used to it now, and I have to say, I love. It all comes together when I get out on my favorite roads. The car simply turns in more aggressivly, corners flatter and seems much more neutral in it's handling. The ride that seems so stiff at slow speed feels just right at triple-digit speeds.

So, while my approach to a suspension upgrade may not be a traditional one, I am absolutely thrilled with the results. This car blew me away before the upgrade, now, I am just stunned at the capability. We so badly need a proper race track in our area because that is the only way I can push this car any harder.

Up next: Just ordered some Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires. May also look into some wheel spacers to push the wheel out to the corners a bit more.
Attached Images     
Old 10-06-2011, 01:43 AM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the feedback on the KWs and love the pics ! Did you set up car at particular height?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice mod, looks mean and ready for some spirited driving.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Daryl Aarons
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by francars
Thanks for the feedback on the KWs and love the pics ! Did you set up car at particular height?
Thanks. The ride height is 3/4" lower than stock. That's about as much as I want to go on the street. It's already a challenge getting into my driveway.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:42 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Looks great. Suspension is one of the best upgrades to do, for any car actually.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:20 AM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I have the PSS9s I picked up a few weeks back. I am hoping to get them in before the end of this month
Old 10-07-2011, 08:15 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks great and I like the ride height.
I hear ya about the difference suspension changes make. Just got mine done last week, new sways, too...."wow" is all I can say. Can't wait to try it at the track (November...if it doesn't snow) new tires arrived, too.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Great stance on an Aero. Amazing how the suspension upgrades can transform a car.

Quick Reply: My Upgraded Suspension