996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

sunroof buffetting

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Goldenwarrior1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WRT the OP, this is a phenomenon that has only recently shown up on cars. Some are worse than others. For example, my Toyota Highlander buffets so bad with the sunroof or one rear window cracked open you can’t stand it. You can actually feel the air pressure oscillate.
So my theory is this. Cars are becoming more and more aerodynamic as engineers try and squeeze every ounce of efficiency from the car to improve gas mileage. This makes the air flow over the surface of the car move at a higher velocity and the air flow is not disrupted by protuberances etc. When you create an opening on that surface it creates a venturi effect and momentarily breaks the air flow but as the small air volume of the car fills up quicker than it can escape it cause the air pressure to oscillate. When you open another surface you allow the air to escape and no pressure builds in the cabin. The buffeting is the change in air pressure as the low pressure area at opening is constantly trying to achieve equilibrium.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:27 AM
GaryAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 179 Posts

It's the same effect as blowing across the top of a bottle (Hemholtz resonator). Your car is a really big bottle so the frequency is very low. whump, whump, whump - know it very well.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vange_c4s
hello everyone,
ah a good place to share here. i have not seen a two setting button push but will look.

barn, ne is a good place - that pile is only eight feet or so right? melting for last spring i suppose
I agree. My plow pushed this pile up to about 7-8 feet so I could get my Porsche in and out of the garage. Wonder what this winter will bring? As long as they get snow in the mtns.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:12 PM
vange_c4s
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i will go for snow in the mountains. fun to ski down them!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I usually ski in the White Mtns., and it gives me the chance to drive my 99 Porsche.

Quick Reply: sunroof buffetting