Sponsored by:

Installed WEVO SS & SPEC 2+ clutch/flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 01:02 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed WEVO SS & SPEC 2+ clutch/flywheel

So, as many of you know by this point...I've been trying to track down a cold start stumble issue. After exhausting myself trying to diagnose, I gave her to the dealer to find n fix. (still under CPO)

Dealer said two injectors were bad and replaced, but the issue was still there when I got the car back. They also noted two small leaks in the tranmission. RMS and shift shaft assembly. So back she went.

Last October, I bought a SPEC 2+ clutch kit, with LWFW...and after attempting the install myself, on my back with the car 19inch up on jackstands...I decided to abort. Then I read lost of opposing opinions on here about LWFW, etc, etc. The kit, brand new in the shrink wrap sat on my shelf ever since.

The last time I picked up the car from the dealer, the service tech spoke with me for about a half hour, going over everything he had tried on the car and what he ultimately found/did. When he said he had to drop and open the tranny for the seals...under CPO...I asked if I could get him to do some elective work in there since the tranny was already open. I was thinking syncros at the time. He checked with Porsche and they said yes. When I dropped the car off, I made a last minute decision to bring the SPEC 2+ kit...and my new X51 oilpan.

Seals done, SPEC 2+ and X51 oilpan installed....but they were only getting the cold start stumble sporatically...so they didn't do anything and they wanted to keep the car for another week. I decided to take her home and schedule a return visit at the end of this month.

The SPEC 2+ is awesome. I love it. The engine revs more freely, it's much easier to rev match on downshifts and the little bit of drivetrain lash is completely gone. It feels much tighter. I had to wait 500 miles to break it in before I could beat on it...well, last night I beat on it and it holds super strong. I was getting 0-60 times of 5 dead at the beginning of the season, last night (exact same tires and about the same temps) I was pulling mostly 4.9...and one 4.7. Launching is so much more improved.

Now...having done that...I also have a brand new set of WEVO SS motor mounts and last weekend decided to add them to the recipe. On posting these pics, I really feel ashamed for how dusty my engine bay is...going to need to do a deep clean before winter!!!

BEFORE

AFTER

My opinion....the SS mounts are really a track only modification/upgrade. The shifting is much more solid, for sure. There is no engine shake...but now there is car shake. Between 2500-3500...if you cruise there...the vibration you get in your back makes you nauseous! It's a very weird sensation. I don't notice any more sound really...nor any "harness" although I'm not sure what they mean by that, but the vibration increase is quite noticeable. It's made the car....unpleasant on the street. On the highway, I don't notice it at all, there is no vibration...but city cruising on streets that are 50-60 kph...it's totally there.

Now, I'm working (slowly) at turning my baby to a track car, so I don't mind...but I will concede that it does hurt the car's comfort on the street.

In the end, I like it. The car feels more purposeful. More "I'm going to get you" It makes me crave the track even more, so to me, that's a sign of a good mod.

Now for the head scratcher Ever since I installed the SS motor mounts...the cold start stumble is gone. It hasn't happened once. Was has happened, two or three times however...is the car doesn't seem to want to start. When it's been sitting for 3-4 hours but it's still warm enough to be closed-loop (it's been quite hot here recently) the car turns over for 3-4 seconds before it catches. Once it catches it instantly fires up and idles smooth. No stumble, no hesitation. I don't smell any gas either (like I did with the stumble) so it makes me think it's not getting any...and I certainly don't want it running super lean on starts.

SIGH...if it's not one thing, it's another!!
Old 09-10-2011, 01:37 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

So to install the SS mounts you had to pull the cold start aux air pump. Wonder if you "fixed" an air leak?
Old 09-10-2011, 01:49 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

I thought that too at first....but I actually forgot to plug the damn thing in the first day I drove it!! The air hose I mean. I immediately thought it sounded much louder and therefore maybe it was jammed or not right before. Then the lightbulb went one and I jumped out at a stop light and plugged the hose back in.

Maybe, I guess it's possible....but then why am I suddenly not starting?
Old 09-10-2011, 07:14 PM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed the Wevo mounts today and I didn't notice what you described.

BTW, just as an aside, you might want to spend a couple of minutes spall chucking (sic) before posting...
Old 09-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

This is interesting to me. I recently added 200 cell cats as I recall u did. My car will stumble now if I don't make sure revs are up in 1st gear. The free flowing cats allow the car to rev quicker but seem to have made it more sensitive when launching.

I was also considering a LFW but decided it may make launching even more demanding. But, u say the mounts are helping. I have RS mounts myself. They raise the engine and angle of transmission since there is less material suspending the motor.

AOS may be problem as well. Good luck tracking the issue down. Keep us updated Sean.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:38 AM
seanmcr6
Pro

Originally Posted by sandersd
I just installed the Wevo mounts today and I didn't notice what you described.

BTW, just as an aside, you might want to spend a couple of minutes spall chucking (sic) before posting...
perhops youre car doesnit make as mooch powwer as my do!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:02 AM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by seanmcr6
perhops youre car doesnit make as mooch powwer as my do!
Tats pussable, butt unlike me...
Old 09-11-2011, 10:11 AM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

You might try changing the coolant sensor. I had a hot start issue also. Seems to have gone away.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:36 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Where's that located? easily accessible...or painfully buried in the engine?

Quick Reply: Installed WEVO SS & SPEC 2+ clutch/flywheel