Sponsored by:

996 in sad shape

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:44 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=C4CRNA;8854658]Any estimate on repair/vs total ?[/QUOTE]

Im at work today, I'll be going to the body shop to personally speak to the rep, I think geico underestimated the damage
Old 09-08-2011, 10:46 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 333 Posts

Glad to hear everyone's alright. Good luck with the insurance company, fingers crossed. There are a lot of careless drivers out there and I always feel it's me against the world. It seems worse when I'm in my Porsche, but probably just because I'm worried more about it.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Partsguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K996MIA
[QUOTE=C4CRNA;8854658]Any estimate on repair/vs total ?
Im at work today, I'll be going to the body shop to personally speak to the rep, I think geico underestimated the damage[/QUOTE]

Geico is the worst, be prepared for them to try and cut any and every corner - and it starts with the appraiser. Find a good shop and let them fight it with you.

My wife got rear ended by an old biddy and Geico kept trying to say it was my wifes fault.

Glad everyone is OK, I would also suggest you take your son for a hearing test, he could have possibly suffered an ear concussion from the air bag. My wife still has ear problems related to an air bag deployment 4 years ago.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:05 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Yea, I think Geico is trying the same thing, but the body repair place Geico uses, said they don't feel comfortable fixing the damage, so off it went to a Porsche Delaership ( the Collection) and the bodyshop they use ( Countach) in Coral Gables, so their repair shop has the better numbers for this "repair"

About my son, he told me Saturday ( one day after the accident) that he had some ringing. I, unfortunately, neglected this because it was Labor Day weekend and then he had school tuesday and such. Here we are Thursday night, but I'm at work and if he has "any" issue , he's getting checked out ASAP!! thanks for the info.
I'm going to google this.

Originally Posted by Partsguy
Im at work today, I'll be going to the body shop to personally speak to the rep, I think geico underestimated the damage
Geico is the worst, be prepared for them to try and cut any and every corner - and it starts with the appraiser. Find a good shop and let them fight it with you.

My wife got rear ended by an old biddy and Geico kept trying to say it was my wifes fault.

Glad everyone is OK, I would also suggest you take your son for a hearing test, he could have possibly suffered an ear concussion from the air bag. My wife still has ear problems related to an air bag deployment 4 years ago.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-09-2011, 02:35 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you were going to keep car until it breaks - no need to worry much about diminished value. But if you were going to sell soon anyway, I would push the insurance on that.

If they agree to total it and give you market value - then you can decide if you want to buy it back and fix it - and live with that.

If they don't agree to total - you should get cost of repairs - and argue for 25% of market value extra which is the discount you\d now have to sell it for with accident damage and airbag deployment on carfax.

Actually i'm not sure if 25% is fair - and not sure insurance would ever pay for that, but if you don't push them you'll definitely not get it ....
Old 09-10-2011, 12:16 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Ed I thought you had USAA.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:09 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find another sample of your car selling online. Year, mileage, condition. See what they sell for. That's the number you want to use to demonstrate the car's value. (really, you need to know what those cars SOLD for, not the asking price, but generally, it should give you a ballpark)

I don't think your car has any special value (last air cooled or first water cooled, etc) so there is no rarity value for it. It's just down to how good condition it's in and what the market would "currently" value it at.

On such a low mileage sample, that number should be (at least) a little higher than the book value.

Glad you and your kids are safe!!

Good luck.
sean
Old 09-10-2011, 05:01 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
Ed I thought you had USAA.
Geico is the other driver's insurance. USAA explained that if I didn't want to file a claim with my coverage, I wouldnt have to pay my deductible.
the other persons insurance is covering 100% and gave me a rental car, so USAA is not involved.

The quarter panel area is being dismantled this coming Monday, so the shop can get a better idea on repairs and cost. I told him how I acquired the car and the care I've taken to keep it nice. I even told him besides the alignment the car will need if/when completed, I also want it put on a dyno to make sure it shifts correctly and the engine is running true; doesn't sound out of line, IMO.

As far as dimished value, the body shop also advised on getting a third party appraisal on diminished value; not to just go with Geico's number right away.
I'd like to keep it long term, but you never know.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K996MIA
I also want it put on a dyno to make sure it shifts correctly and the engine is running true; doesn't sound out of line, IMO.

Do you have a base-line dyno to compare showing shift patterns and that it's "running true"? lol
Old 09-10-2011, 07:05 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Good Luck with Geico. Hold their feet to the fire. Did the wheel get dinged?
Those wheels are very expensive!!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:23 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Abby, unless they can prove on the DME that it had "issues" prior to 9/2/2011, the car was running like it should up to the time of the accident. What I'm saying is, when I go for a test drive, after it's completed, and it runs poorly or has some shifting issues, I know the engine and/or tranny got damaged due to the accident.
I'm hoping for the best.
As far as Geico, the local adjuster is being very courteous; it's pry his supervisor or someone higher that's going to try some low ball tactics, ESP. When they see the other shops price adjustments to the correct repairs geico originally estimated ($6700).
Old 09-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Seriously? $6700? When a guy backed into me and cracked by aero decklid that cost $8K.

Quick Reply: 996 in sad shape