Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Impact Screwdriver on Rotor. Bad for bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 03:01 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Question Impact Screwdriver on Rotor. Bad for bearing?

I used an impact screwdriver on my brake rotor screws when doing a brake job recently, and it got me thinking...

It was a big help for a few stuck rotor screws. However, while whacking the stuck screws, it occurred to me that it might not be a great idea to impact the wheel bearings. Of course, I did it anyway

My thought is that the hammer blows will be transmitted directly to the wheel bearing (thru the rotor and hub).

I worked with industrial bearings in a previous life, and hammers and bearings don't usually mix. Sharp impacts transmitted to the bearing can dent bearing races and lead to premature bearing failure. Not sure if this applies here.

What type of bearing is in these wheels?

Any opinions on whacking your rotors with a hammer?

P.S. I posted this question in Van's DIY changing brake thread, but I decided to start a new thread instead, just because I'm curious about opinions on this. Still a great DIY!
Also, I like the idea of postulating on a possible bearing failure in a 996.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My take on it is .... whatever gets it off is alright to me (this includes jumping on a 10ft breaker bar with a extension) however when re-installing care should be taken using the proper Tool/Torque
Old 09-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't sweat it using an impact wrench to remove the rotor screw. I'll be doing the same thing soon with front brakes.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

you think your Wheel Bearing does it get it 1000 times worse on the Roads & Bumps? lols
Old 09-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

The impact screw driver is correct for the job 1000x over. Don't sweat it.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:35 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Given a large hammer, I'd bet that you could not damage the bearing no matter how hard you tried. Even with successive hard impacts directly to the hub, I think the bearings would do fine. Even hard impacts that will destroy a wheel and suspension components, more often than not will not affect the wheel bearings or hub. They are really tough in that regard.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:48 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Zookie
you think your Wheel Bearing does it get it 1000 times worse on the Roads & Bumps? lols
While I agree that it's probably not a big issue to use the impact screwdriver, I don't think that impacts from road/track driving really compare. Road impacts are transmitted to the wheel bearing through the tires. That would be like trying to dent a hardened metal part with a chunk of rubber. No matter how hard you hit the metal with the rubber, it's not likely to dent.

However, with direct metal-to-metal contact (through the metal screwdriver) it's a different story. Here's a failure analysis for an industrial bearing that was hit with a hammer:
(reference document link)

Also, the wiki for ball bearing installation states "For small bearings ... tapping with a hammer damages both bearing and shaft..."

Many bearing installation guides recommend using a block of wood, rubber hammer, soft brass punch, plastic dead-blow hammer, or an arbor press to avoid sharp impacts to the bearing races.

I still think it's plausible that hammer blows could shorten bearing life.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:19 AM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

As a fellow Design Engineer... You might be over thinking this one.... Keep in mind that the impact from the small screw being transmitted thru the HUB shaft that is in radial contact with the inner bearing race. Thus the impact load would not be true Point of contact (during many installation guides you are directed to ONLY apply force to the outer race) on the inner race. If you run a FEA simulation on the force transmission you will find the distance and mass of the Cast Iron Hub absorbs the Low impact force applied from the Hammer and Impact driver (which is designed to apply a light/Moderate downward force and a HIGH twisting (radial) force).
So, go ahead and use that impact driver... Just don't go get an Air impact Gun! That is a whole different Game...
Old 09-02-2011, 11:06 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LC MotorSports
... the distance and mass of the Cast Iron Hub absorbs the Low impact force applied from the Hammer...
Very true. I hadn't considered that the screws are a bit off center, transmitting a high twisting load which can be somewhat absorbed by flex in the hub.

So, go ahead and use that impact driver...
I did use the impact driver without too much worry. Just thinking out loud here...

As a fellow Design Engineer... You might be over thinking this one....
Wait, did my unnecessarily over-analytical post scream out "engineer". Guilty, I suppose.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:09 AM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

My father (40 years as a Toolmaker) always tells me, "You over think everything" Just go out and do it!
So, we are both Guilty
Old 09-07-2011, 04:29 PM
ejabour
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Is using an impact wrench on lugs which are threaded directly into the hub also that much different in terms of the load transmitted?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:16 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

When I did my rotors, it did not take a big whack on the impact screwdriver to loosen the screws. Just a mild hit with a dead blow hammer.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Impact Screwdriver on Rotor. Bad for bearing?