Sponsored by:

Top rear strut mounting on Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:49 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Top rear strut mounting on Cabriolet

I'd like to know what's involved in removing the felt cover behind the rear seats on a Cab. What steps are required? It looks like the top cables need to be detached and rear window rolled forward with the clamshell open.

What next? I don't want to remove stuff I don't have to or make reassembly more complex than necessary.

I'm pondering lowering my car which entails removing the struts. I'd like to know exactly what's involved and will make my decision based on the amount of work involved for R&R, and also reverting back to stock if I don't like it.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:11 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's pretty much it. The liner should just pull up to expose the tops of the shock towers.

Here is a DIY on the rest of the procedure...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...nsion-install/
Old 08-31-2011, 12:52 PM
2300cc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the procedure from the Porsche service manual.

Once you have the top out of the way there are just plastic push pins you will have to remove than the felt piece comes right out.

You will than see foam square cutout above where the struts are. Remove those and you will have access the to strut nuts.
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2011, 02:04 PM
02TX996Cab
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently did a full suspension swap out on my '02 996 Cab...see my post (#50) here (http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...l/page__st__40) where I describe what all was different for doing this on a Cab.

The link SSST provided (an excellent one by the way) describes the procedure for a coupe, and was the link I used to guide my work.

If you have good tools, jack, etc. and solid basic mechanical skills then definitely do it yourself. You learn a lot about the car in the process, and the satisfaction of doing the job yourself is unbeatable.

Quick Reply: Top rear strut mounting on Cabriolet