Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

When is Oil too "Old/Used" for Car Storage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When is Oil too "Old/Used" for Car Storage?

Recent thread on driving a 996 in winter got me thinking about getting ready to store my car (alas) by mid/late October ... and I have a small dilemma.

My car REALLY needs an oil/filter change this week (Castrol Syntec 5-40). Been holding off hoping to do so right before storage but I had some long, unexpected trips.

If I change the oil this week, it's likely that the new syth oil will have 750-1,000 miles on it when I store the car. The car will be stored for about 6 months. I generally like to have fresh oil in when I store. Wondering if syth oil with 750-1,000 is "fresh" enough for storage.

I don't like the idea (cost/labor) of changing it after 4 weeks. But will do so if it's really a difference maker.

Thoughts??
Old 09-02-2011, 08:51 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You will be fine. I've done this with both of my Porsches (987S and 993TT) during winter hibernation (4-6 months). I also do used oil analysis to support my findings. The only "disclaimer" I'll make is that both of my cars are driven long distances, when taken out, 100 miles minimal (usually more like +300 miles). So, the oil with maybe <1,000 miles on it for winter hibernation, is also very-very low on any undesirable moisture or fuel content. Those two things being the real 'killers' in the oil during an extended storage period.

Given the choice to overextend the current oil, or change now and hibernate with a few hundred miles on the fresh drain, I'd elect the latter.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Excellent. Thanks. And glad to see there is some oil analysis backing it up!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:12 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And it's too early to start thinking about hibernation, go out and drive that beeeoootch.

Also, have you considered filling the car with sand for winter storage?

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...6-back-to-life

"last week i picked up an abandoned 2001 Boxster S from a local auction at a cheap price. this is one of the cars that was left behind by previous owners when the financial crisis hit in 2008, and has since been sitting in a desert pit covered in Sand. (i'll post some pictures soon)."
Old 09-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

In Michigan, the Major League Baseball season is my car-use calendar. Take it out Opening Day -- put it away when the WS is over, or the first frost, whichever is first.

Speaking of sand-filled pits -- rather than building a new barn/garage to work on and store cars, there is now-closed, 4-pit speedy oil change place for sale about a mile from my house. Price is less than the cost of a new garage and land. I went to look at it and found that they had filled all four pits with sand. If I buy it, I need to dig them out -- the pits were a primary reason I was interested in the space. We'll see. But it would be a darn cool garage

Who knows there may be a Boxster in there!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You're in Michigan. Jimmy Hoffa is probably in there.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:09 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
You're in Michigan. Jimmy Hoffa is probably in there.
He's in Chicago. Soldier Field end-zone, south end, IIRC.

Quick Reply: When is Oil too "Old/Used" for Car Storage?