Sponsored by:

Replacing a stock 996 stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacing a stock 996 stereo

A couple months ago I replaced the stereo in my '83 944 with a new Pioneer DEH-3300 UB stereo (which has a USB port to plug in my iPod). I've since decided to sell the 944 but want to see if I can put the aforementioned stereo in my '04 996 (replacing the 996 stock stereo).

The 996 stock stereo has several cd drawers underneath it, not too concerned if they continue to work since they're obsolete and taking up space anyway so I'd just assume take out the CD drawers as long as there isn't a gaping open hole there (if it was a sealed off hole that I could use for storage, that would be ok).

So the question is, are these stereos interchangeable? Is anyone able to provide some steps on how to do this or must I pay $150 to the pros to do this?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Mister Quickie; 12-11-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:43 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Install kit with wire harness...plug and play.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
A couple months ago I replaced the stereo in my '83 944 with a new Pioneer DEH-3300 UB stereo (which has a USB port to plug in my iPod). I've since decided to sell the 944 but want to see if I can put the aforementioned stereo in my '04 996 (replacing the 996 stock stereo).

The 996 stock stereo has several cd drawers underneath it, not too concerned if they continue to work since they're obsolete and taking up space anyway so I'd just assume take out the CD drawers as long as there isn't a gaping open hole there (if it was a sealed off hole that I could use for storage, that would be ok).

So the question is, are these stereos interchangeable? Is anyone able to provide some steps on how to do this or must I pay $150 to the pros to do this?

Thanks in advance
The drawers are just storage. No functional use or integration into the system beyond that. If you don't plan to use them, they are extremely easy to remove and replace with a cubby storage. To remove, open 2-3 of the holders (probably middle ones best) simultaneously grab and gently tug -- the whole unit will simply pop/slide out. Took me a total of 5 seconds.

Also, if/when you order a cubby, make sure to order the top one. You'll be given the option for a top or bottom. Eagle Day and Pelican Parts both have in stock and you can also find on eBay occasionally.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:00 AM
02TX996Cab
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on cd storage unit replacement. Suncoast is another source for the replacement cubby.

As for the head unit...the '04 996 uses the MOST (fiber optic) bus system, not standard wires. It's a bit more difficult/expensive than straight plug-and-play. Do some searches here and other Porsche sites to research what you need; lots of folks have done what you're planning to do. FWIW, many posters discussing headunit replacements on '03+ cars seem to use professional installers, and the MOST system makes the cost higher than the typical "simple" install.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:12 AM
GolfTango3
Racer

When I swapped the head unit out in the 996, I elected to use a professional installer. Your situation may be different, but my level of retardation in this automotive electronic sense would make Charlie from Flowers for Algernon look like Nicola Tesla. So, I coughed up the cash and summoned professional help.

Also, I swapped my CD caddy for a storage bin, and then sold the stock head unit and CD caddy for enough money to fund the new head unit and installation fees.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by carcster88
The VW kit will work but you will have to change a few wires around in the kit.
The reason I mention this is becasue a lot of places have the VW harness but not the porsche
Old 08-28-2011, 11:41 AM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbybailey
Your situation may be different, but my level of retardation in this automotive electronic sense would make Charlie from Flowers for Algernon look like Nicola Tesla.
Are you an English teacher or something? This may be the most "literate" reference I've read on Rennlist (and yes, perhaps mildly offensive too! )
Old 08-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by carcster88
Not plug and play, your car is an 04, do a search on MOST as was stated.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

on either end, will I have to enter a four digit passcode when the new (different) stereo is installed in the other car? If so, how do I find out what the passcode is?
Old 08-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

on either end, will I have to enter a four digit passcode when the new (different) stereo is installed in the other car? If so, how do I find out what the passcode is?
Is that pic your car? CDR-220 I though was NON-most, an 04 should have a CR-23??? no?

I do not think a CR-23 will work in a 944 but a CDR-220 will.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

1k apologies, the picture of my CDR23 stock 996 stereo that I got from google images wasn't right. i replaced that pic in my original post with one that I took of my actual stereo via my camera phone.

If that stereo won't work in a 944 then the point is moot and I won't switch
Old 08-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

1k apologies, the picture of my CDR23 stock 996 stereo that I got from google images wasn't right. i replaced that pic in my original post with one that I took of my actual stereo via my camera phone.

If that stereo won't work in a 944 then the point is moot and I won't switch
Since it's most bus I think the illumination and ignition on will not work, many 993 owners have tried.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Peter 642
Racer

My level of retardation in this automotive electronic sense would make Charlie from Flowers for Algernon look like Nicola Tesla
Pre- or post-surgery?

It is true, though. As the book quotes, we shall not poke fun at others, simply because they drive a Gremlin or other oddly designed car:

"Any one who has common sense will remember that the bewilderments of the eye are of two kinds, and arise from two causes, either from coming out of the light or from going into the light, which is true of the mind's eye, quite as much as of the bodily eye."

Quick Reply: Replacing a stock 996 stereo