Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

200 cell cats? yeah they're worth it....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:04 PM
bornrich
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
I opted for the Speed Tech X-Pipe with the high flow 200 cell cats. I already had the Fister D Stage III Titanium mufflers. I could not be happier with the sound It seems to me that when I added the Speed Tech X-Pipe and high flow cats, the sound comes out sooooo smooooth Like SILK Passed smog two months ago with flying colors
Glad you passed but my point is your passing is based on the fact no one noticed that your cats are not stock once some one notices you will have a problem. I think it is silly that "non approved" parts can cause a failure even if your test numbers are all with in the smog level for your car.
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (09-14-2022)
Old 10-07-2013, 08:56 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

California smog is a pain in the azz. My first 996 I bought had the K&N intake from the previous owner and the tech failed me for visual inspection. I had to put the original back on and take it back (which I was going to do sooner or later) so I can get the car registered.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 PM
bornrich
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

K&N has a CARB cert but you have to have their sticker ( I have one on my truck) to pass the visual.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:39 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bornrich
K&N has a CARB cert but you have to have their sticker ( I have one on my truck) to pass the visual.
Sadly, your choices are very limited The OEM are prohibitively expensive and your check engine light is driving you crazy
Old 10-08-2013, 01:01 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
I opted for the Speed Tech X-Pipe with the high flow 200 cell cats. I already had the Fister D Stage III Titanium mufflers. I could not be happier with the sound It seems to me that when I added the Speed Tech X-Pipe and high flow cats, the sound comes out sooooo smooooth Like SILK Passed smog two months ago with flying colors
Hi Larry,

It's nice to see you posting here and read your feedback on our hi-flow catted X-Pipe! And thanks again for thinking of us when it was time to do it...
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 10-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

I went with the FVD setup,headers and 200 cell cats along with TUBI mufflers.and really no joke the sound is incredible! and a definite seat of the pants boost!
Attached Images  
EVOMMM (09-14-2022)
Old 10-08-2013, 07:05 PM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a fan too. I've had Fabspeed's 200-cell X-pipe cat for about 3 years. Added a Fabspeed CAI about a year ago and you're right ... the sound at WOT between 4-7K rpm can only be described as sublime. I never get tired of hearing it, and I giggle like a schoolgirl when I see a tunnel or underpass ahead.
EVOMMM (09-14-2022)
Old 10-09-2013, 05:55 AM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you passed but my point is your passing is based on the fact no one noticed that your cats are not stock once some one notices you will have a problem. I think it is silly that "non approved" parts can cause a failure even if your test numbers are all with in the smog level for your car.
This is the exact worry I have about passing the tech inspectio (TÜV) in Germany. A dirty underbody and a brand new shiny exhaust is going to draw attention, I would imagine.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:43 AM
Al Allen
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Your point is well made. I had a CA smog tech pass my vehicle with a new OEM exhaust and correct OEM converters. 2 years later I returned to the same smog tech, after only about 2,000 miles and no changes, and he failed the vehicle on a visual inspection, because he noted the numbers on the new factory converters were not on the CARB-approved list. He failed to check the numbers on the previous test. The vehicle is a 49-state model from Arizona. Dealer ordered correct replacement parts for the VIN. I had to remove the expensive factory converters and replace them with CARB-approved aftermarket parts. Now it passes the visual examination, but has never passed the emissions test again, after over 10 attempts and thousands of miles.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:47 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,069 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Allen
Your point is well made. I had a CA smog tech pass my vehicle with a new OEM exhaust and correct OEM converters. 2 years later I returned to the same smog tech, after only about 2,000 miles and no changes, and he failed the vehicle on a visual inspection, because he noted the numbers on the new factory converters were not on the CARB-approved list. He failed to check the numbers on the previous test. The vehicle is a 49-state model from Arizona. Dealer ordered correct replacement parts for the VIN. I had to remove the expensive factory converters and replace them with CARB-approved aftermarket parts. Now it passes the visual examination, but has never passed the emissions test again, after over 10 attempts and thousands of miles.
That thread is 9yrs old...
Old 09-15-2022, 10:59 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Can anyone comment on switching to 200 cel cats with stock mufflers?
delete

Last edited by dougn; 09-15-2022 at 11:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 200 cell cats? yeah they're worth it....