Sponsored by:

Cabrio with hard top vs coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:31 AM
ahoffman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabrio with hard top vs coupe

Hello All, considering a '99 C2 cabrio with hard top vs coupe. Any negatives with respect to the hard-top ? Ease of use? Leaks? Is it heavy? Thanks in advance for any help here.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Partsguy
Instructor

I believe it is 33 lbs and made of aluminum, past that I can't answer.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:00 AM
mjh1
Instructor

I have a cab, never owned a coupe, but the cab hard top has never leaked and really reduce the sound when on, very light, when not in use mine hangs on the wall in the garage.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:01 AM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

Cabriolets / Hardtops are great. Like having two vehicles.

The top is heavy. I have a hoist in my garage (really, just to put on and off in fall and spring). Be sure to read the threads. You have to line up the front latch first.

It's always great in spring when the top comes off and the blue skies are open overhead. You can hear the exhaust sounds much better with the top off.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:20 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only negative i can think of is find a place to store it.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:15 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 329 Posts

It takes two people to install/remove the hardtop. You'll need a safe place to store it. I have an OEM wall mount, ($650, I think), but you can build your own. I plan on building a hoist system in the future so I don't have to coordinate the activity with my sons. I haven't had any leaks, but the owners manual says not to use an automated car wash even with the hardtop in place.

As others have said, it's like two different cars with the hardtop on and off. I can't offer a comparison between a Cab with hardtop and a Coupe, as I've never driven a Coupe.

A Cab is a great way to get maximum enjoyment from your FisterD's (or other sport exhaust) as well.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:18 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
A Cab is a great way to get maximum enjoyment from your FisterD's (or other sport exhaust) as well.
+10
Old 08-12-2011, 12:21 PM
DDL24
Instructor

for the cab owners that use hardtop. the fact that cloth top are being stored in the retracted postion for extented period of time doesn't damage the appearance at all? I thought the rule of thumb for soft top in general is that if you don't use it for long period, you should raise the roof....
Old 08-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts
Thumbs up

I've left my hard top on many times for over 4-6 months. I've never had any issue with the soft top. It might be wrinkled a bit when it first goes up, but by the next day it's fine.

As others have said, it's like having two vehicles and the Fister Ds sound much better with the top down!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:06 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by DDL24
for the cab owners that use hardtop. the fact that cloth top are being stored in the retracted postion for extented period of time doesn't damage the appearance at all? I thought the rule of thumb for soft top in general is that if you don't use it for long period, you should raise the roof....
You can't install the hardtop with the soft-top up. You just have to make sure that the soft-top is clean and dry before you stow it for the winter.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:37 PM
mjh1
Instructor

It's really not heavy, my wife helps me take it on and off, she's about 103lbs 5'6", and I purchased 3 brackets at Lowes that it hangs from on the wall in the garage that I lift it up and onto by myself, with a little help you should be able to manage getting it on and off and finding a place to store it. Although I will be honest I have looked at a hoist would be easier to do it on my own, also it would be another new thing for me to play with LOL
As said above the sound of the Fister D mod is great with the top down!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:20 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Cab w/ hardtop FTW!
Old 08-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Quix
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ahoffman
Hello All, considering a '99 C2 cabrio with hard top vs coupe. Any negatives with respect to the hard-top ? Ease of use? Leaks? Is it heavy? Thanks in advance for any help here.
I've had my cab for a year and a half, and drove it in the winter last year (Minneapolis-St. Paul area) with the hard top on. Mine hangs in my garage over the bicycle repair area, and lets me feel like I'm in my car and working on my bikes at the same time. Agree with all said so far. Would only add that a cab is not quite as "at home" on the track as a coupe is, and most would not put the hard top on in order to run it on the track due to the weight of the hard top. I may be wrong about the latter, and as I have not tracked mine as of yet, am curious about how other cab owners do it. What is the experience running a cab vs coupe on the track?
q
Old 08-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A coupe is absolutely better for the track for a number of reasons including safety and torsional rigidity. If you're asking about a convertible then my assumption is that you either know this already or don't ultimately care enough for it to persuade you from buy one. A convertible is certainly still a great car for an autocross. Hell, my '05 S60R (with its Battleship sized turning radius) is a fun car at an autocross...but I digress. It's all about priorities. I'm not planning on racing my 911, I missed having a convertible and my little kids actually fit still! The Cab was a no-brainer for my needs.

-Eric
Old 08-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Partsguy
I believe it is 33 lbs and made of aluminum, past that I can't answer.
The number is correct, but that is in kilos. Try about 73 lbs.

Hardtops are great! But get yourself a hoist!

Last edited by Edgy01; 08-12-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Cabrio with hard top vs coupe