996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cooling fan mod or Lower T stat which one

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

For lowering the temperature in stop and go traffic the fan mod is probably the most helpful.

For minimizing hot spots in the engine and getting fluid flowing through the system earlier, the low temperature thermostat is more helpful.

I've got the third radiator and lower temp thermostat and when cruising on the highway or at the track my temps are pretty low. When I'm in stop and go traffic things still get plenty hot. That's where fans help.

-Shawn
Old 08-05-2011, 12:33 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you haven't cleaned out the space between the rads and the condensers do that first! You would be shocked by the crap that will find its way between and slow down air flow.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 934 Posts

My temp was doing this too in traffic and in hot weather, and I ended up having both of my fans and relays replaced. Since the replacement, my temperature stays right between the 8 and the 0, no matter what the conditions. I think I may have had one fan out for some time and it was barely holding on, and then the other went out which is when I really noticed the problem.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:46 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL. Another "oil" thread I can see it already.

The fans are going to come on whether you want them to or not. The question is, are you going to be a worrywort and turn them on before they are going to anyways? And why do you think Porsche picked the temps to turn the fans on automatically anyways (stage 1 206F and stage 2 215F)? Why wouldn't have they picked 180 and 190? Probably SMOG. But do you think they would have picked 205 and 215 if they thought it was dangerous for the engine?

I've driven through 115+ degree temps before uphill at 100mph and the stock cooling system adequately prevented the temp from going past the 0 in 180.

Obviously I'm on the other side of the fence. I say don't mess with it, if the car runs 10-20 F degrees hotter sure I might be loosing 5 HP but at least I'm doing something for the environment.

The best thing you can do, IMHO is add a third radiator to the setup. The only fan mod I might consider is the engine compartment fan hack to help in stop and go or idling on a hot day. I agree with Doug - Even with a thermostat that opens sooner or fans that click on sooner (or all the time) the car can still get hot, depending on how it is driven or the conditions.

I wonder if any of the people who have done the fan mods have had more fan related problems sooner than those who have just left it stock.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:54 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
T-stat is the way to go. It will actually make the engine run a little cooler. The fan mod is fun, but the fans should turn on when needed without the mod.
Totally agree!

Originally Posted by chsu74

Personally, I would prefer the engine to run hotter than cooler in the dash gauge for fear of excess wear and tear on a cold engine.
The wear and tear with the low temp stat is a non issue. The car warms up just like it did with the original stat but starts the flow of coolant sooner. The theory could be that opening the stat ealier reduces the "shock" to the engine (high temp engine, dramatically cooler coolant) associated with the OE stat.

I've seen no impact on fuel economy or performance.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:01 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by logray
But do you think they would have picked 205 and 215 if they thought it was dangerous for the engine?
Porsche still thinks their IMS bearing is adequately designed. This is their first gen water cooled flat 6 remember...

Good thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...erheating.html

Don't know if it is correct but "190F - 200F" = "87C - 93C"

https://rennlist.com/forums/4292128-post17.html

Last edited by chsu74; 08-05-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I believe everything Dharn55 wrote in his last post is true, also according to Autofarm in the UK since coolant enters the case on 1 side & flows to the opposite side all the while being heated by each cylinder, the low temp thermostat's earlier opening helps to minimize excessive heat @ the far side cylinders for those of you who hit the high rpm's before full warmup.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:57 AM
One Nut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thanks for the advice are the fan temps controled by the computer ie: on at X temp and off at XX. If so can they be adjusted with a Teck 2 or HP tuner type of program. Its an 04 and has 29K miles on her. My rads are clean fans both work but my temps were above the 0 on the 180 mark. What I noticed mostly was the feel of the car, slight drop of oil pressure power seemed slightly down, not as responsive. Like it was melting a bit. Heat soak if you will. Maybe I just need to get use to how it feels. My vett performs the great even on 100+ degree days although she does feel like its melting too.

Quick Reply: Cooling fan mod or Lower T stat which one