Sponsored by:

Porsche Umbrella ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 PM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
I think there was a recall on the Porsche umbrella's release ring.
Yes, it sets off the 1128 and 1130 code every time you use it.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:05 PM
909punk
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys drive your car in the rain?... pffft.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 909punk
you guys drive your car in the rain?... pffft.
Silly!
The umbrella is for the car. Why? What were you thinking it was for?
Old 07-28-2011, 03:43 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I am pleased with my $15 genuine Totes - with "Artic Silver" handle - and finely crafted single push button activator ;-) ...and the $74 still in my pocket.

Porsche Travel Umbrella
Great Gift! Folding umbrella with cover and automatic mechanism. Porsche's travel umbrella is clever and compact. Fits into cubbyhole on the passenger’s door-sill in Porsche 911, Boxster and Cayman. High-quality aluminium frame. Sensosoft coated handle. Fabric with Teflon® coating. Black. Diameter: approx. 36.5 inches.
WAP-05008117Regular price: $117.30Sale price: $88.95
Old 07-28-2011, 05:19 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Ok... this thread is just wrong!

Might as well get this...

Old 07-28-2011, 11:00 AM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Is the Porsche umbrella truly a high quality umbrella or is it just another cheap umbrella, but with Porsche logos and a part number?
Old 07-28-2011, 11:18 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

See my screen name?

I don't drive in the rain, and one of my toys is air cooled.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:11 AM
carcster88
Racer

Originally Posted by redridge
Ok... this thread is just wrong!

Might as well get this...

Saw one at the dealer today...only fits 997 though.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:15 AM
carcster88
Racer

I can personally say, the BMW full sized umbrella work great, and the leather case is nice. Install is discreet. I have a Totes one on the passenger side. No way I was going to get rid of my BMW one when I traded the car in. Silver handle matches my interior...........I recycle things.....

But yes...you guys can get a black mini Totes one to fit in the Porsche area for an umbrella under $10. Check Walmart, no joke. I live near Pikes Peak in Colorado and even a little umbrella can help. You can buy extra ones for your backpack or other things you bring to work. People laugh about something simple like an umbrella, but the do what they are designed for most of the time.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:02 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Umbrella's are required in all passenger vehicles driven in Seattle between September 30 and June 1st. We install them at the same time when we put the studded tires on our our 4 x 4's, along with new wiper blades....
Old 08-23-2012, 06:25 AM
smu78
1st Gear

When I bought my 997 CS, my wife gave me a Porsche umbrella designed to fit in the cubby hole. Had it for several years but recently had to use it and the 'sensosoft' handle is all sticky. Apparently, the hot weather in Texas affected the 'sensosoft' handle and while it still works, the sensosoft has become sensosticky.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Steve2112
Racer

Just be careful with the Porsche bumpershoots (as they are called in the UK) - the umbrellas have a bearing that on the release mechinism that can fail - doesn't matter if there have been 5 rainstorms or 50 - you never know when it can happen.

There are some vendors with solutions, but it involves replacing the umbrella bearing.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:32 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

BUMBERSHOOT

Q. From David Sinclair: I recently heard an American use the word bumbershoot as a humorous term for umbrella. I cannot find where and when it originated. My dictionary says it is an Americanism, but some web sites have said it was a British word for umbrella. The chute part suggests it is recent, but it frequently is associated with old folks, especially ones in the countryside. Any help?

A. Any suggestion of a British origin can be immediately refuted. It isn’t known over here at all. In fact, I’d never heard of it until you asked your question. It appears in the lyric of a song sung by Dick Van Dyke in the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang:

Me ol’ bam-boo, me ol’ bam-boo
You'd better never bother with me ol’ bam-boo
You can have me hat or me bumbershoot
But you'd better never bother with me ol’ bam-boo.

The English context of the film may be why some Americans, not familiar with the word in their own country, have come to believe it must be British, though the song was actually written by two Americans, Richard M Sherman and Robert B Sherman.

It seems to have been yet another of those gloriously facetious bits of wordplay so characteristic of America in the nineteenth century. Quite how it came about is a matter of some guesswork, but it looks moderately certain that the first part derives from the beginning of umbrella, with a b put in front so that it makes the evocative and forceful first syllable bum; the second half, as you surmise, is a respelling of the final syllable of parachute, presumably because of the similar shape.

Don’t assume that any word derived from parachute must be at all recent. Perhaps surprisingly, that word dates from the early days of Montgolfier ballooning and first appeared in English in 1785. (Umbrella itself dates from the early seventeenth century, originally from an Italian word for a sunshade, with the first part traceable back to Latin umbra, shadow.)

The first example of bumbershoot in Professor Lighter’s Random House Historical Dictionary of the American Language is from 1896. There were some variations around in the early days, such as bumbersol (with sol presumably taken from parasol) and bumberell. By the first decade of the twentieth century it had settled down to bumbershoot.

This fairly rare example of the word in print comes from L Frank Baum’s book Sky Island of 1912:

“This umbrella has been in our family years, an’ years, an’ years. But it was tucked away up in our attic an’ no one ever used it ’cause it wasn’t pretty.” “Don’t blame ’em much,” remarked Cap’n Bill, gazing at it curiously. “It’s a pretty old-lookin’ bumbershoot.”

These days, it’s moderately uncommon, though still to be found. It turns up most often in connection with the Seattle Arts Festival. Bumbershoot was so named, I am told, because of that great city’s notoriously wet climate.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bum2.htm
Old 08-23-2012, 10:42 AM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

My 996 came with that Suncoast filler cap, I would prefer to have the std to be honest as there is no way of holding it on the filler flap when re-filling
Old 08-23-2012, 01:06 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by carcster88
I have a little one in the side pocket, and my full size BMW one that matches very well and more functional on the side. Installs in the same place it did on the BMW...and actually costs more than the Porsche one. In Colorado, the weather is unpredictable so I always like having one with me. The small one on the side pocket is just an extra for a passenger or to throw in my work backpack.

That's where my drinkholder is.

Quick Reply: Porsche Umbrella ?