Sponsored by:

Wheel Spacer Advice for NB 996

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:55 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sandersd
Duh. Sorry, there is no tongue-in-cheek smilie.

My point was the comment didn't seem relevant since spacers don't change the suspension geometry, if indeed the reference was to bump steer. In regards to bump (i.e. compression and rebound), although one could argue the increased width would act like a longer lever arm and affect interaction with the spring (rate), I suspect it would be nominal and somewhat independent from the action of the dampers. Still, calculations could be done to verify...

Not trying start anything - I'm just explaining myself since my sense of humor doesn't always come across as I intend it on the forum. ( I'm still not sure what you meant since you didn't explain how spacers and compression are an issue.)

I put the 18mm's on and I think they look fantastic.
If you fail to see how the geometry of a corner changes moving the wheel away from the carrier and how that affects the interaction between the tire and the compression of the corner then there isn't much I can explain any further.

Not sure what is so hard to understand how the tire is at risk from compression when using to large of a spacer. Tire exposed more to the hard edge of the fender, car compresses, tire gets cut, story doesn't end well.

I think the OP has what he needs. Unsubscribing........
Old 07-23-2011, 04:27 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Did you find a vendor that sells the 15mm and the PROPER length and style wheel bolts?
I have H&R 7, 15, and 18mm with proper bolts in stock.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:01 AM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default (sigh) Is that all...

Originally Posted by LVDell
Not sure what is so hard to understand how the tire is at risk from compression when using to large of a spacer. Tire exposed more to the hard edge of the fender, car compresses, tire gets cut, story doesn't end well.
I'm sorry. My misunderstanding. I guess I was expecting something more than the obvious. Thanks Captain.

FWIW If that's all you meant then just say so instead of alluding to some technical phenomenon ambiguously labeled "compression" or "bump".

Just say: "Be careful the spacers aren't so thick they push the tires out beyond the fender edge or it may cut the sidewall of your tire when the suspension compresses over a bump."

Clear, concise, helpful - even if it is somewhat obvious.

Last edited by sandersd; 07-24-2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Added suggestion
The following users liked this post:
barbancourt (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 07:12 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by sandersd
I'm sorry. My misunderstanding. I guess I was expecting something more than the obvious. Thanks Captain.

FWIW If that's all you meant then just say so instead of alluding to some technical phenomenon ambiguously labeled "compression" or "bump".

Just say: "Be careful the spacers aren't so thick they push the tires out beyond the fender edge or it may cut the sidewall of your tire when the suspension compresses over a bump."

Clear, concise, helpful - even if it is somewhat obvious.
Im ten years late, but I agree with you.
Old 06-11-2023, 04:24 PM
ThatDaveDude
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GIXXERUK
15MM hubcentric spacers front and rear

lowered on H&R springs

Attachment 1209287
12 years later and this is exactly the information I needed, partly because my car is on the same springs and is also black with factory aero.
Old 07-03-2024, 05:39 PM
1984 996 NB
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacks911
I may not be any help here as I am fooling around with 17" wheels. I am interested in the same issue but with 17 inch wheels & tires. I just switches to the set of aftermarket Turbo Look wheels I had on my 968. They are ET-47 7.5 in the front and ET-62 9's in the back - they look to have moved the wheels out about one inch both front and rear. Odd because the standard offset was ET 55 so the rears are adding 7 mm to the offset - but the front are just compensating for the extra half inch width. I added another 3mm spacer to the rear and that looks good but I would not go wider as my PSS9 suspension is set to GT3 ride height. So my guess is... front plus 5 mm and rear plus 10 mm is about right for me.

I have 17s as well. My car is lowered now. Hnr coil overs. What do you think the max is I can use for spacers assuming I fender roll? That’ll be necessary I believe ….

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacer Advice for NB 996