Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ordering parts - it's always something...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 PM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ordering parts - it's always something...

When I replaced my rear rotors and brakes, I ordered from Suncoast. They sent me rotors for a 986.

So when I needed to replace the front rotors and brakes, I ordered from Pelican. They sent me two right rotors.

I searched for the best price for a pair of wheel spacers and found a great deal at FVD. So I ordered. The price was for one spacer. Everyone else sells them in pairs. No wonder the price was so good.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Knock on wood, so far I've had no order/shipment problems with my Porsche and I've dealt with 2 of the venders you mentioned. Does that mean I just jinxed myself? Nothing worse than receiving new parts and you're ready to install...and they are wrong. I feel your pain.GL
Old 07-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Just remember most vendors drop ship heavy stuff like rotors etc directly from the wholesaler's warehouse (that's how they can offer free shipping) so its easy for some of those guys in the warehouse to make a mistake because they're packing all day parts for multiple businesses, cars etc. As Barn996 mentioned though, luckily it doesn't happen very often. Sorry you had bad luck a couple times in a row..
Old 07-11-2011, 01:50 PM
sandersd
Pro

Apparently someone at Pelican placed their part number sticker (for a left rotor) covering the Zimmerman sticker (for a right rotor).

That happens a lot everywhere I go. Really irritating when removing the label obliterates the text I'm trying to read underneath. Don't get me started...
Old 07-11-2011, 02:54 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sandersd
Apparently someone at Pelican placed their part number sticker (for a left rotor) covering the Zimmerman sticker (for a right rotor).
I was informed about this issue this morning. I received the following note from my supplier when we requested additional information:

Back in May the supplier send us a shipment in the wrong packages, the parts are correct but the box indicated the incorrect part. Did the customer physically check the disc or is he looking at the number on the box? Please make sure he check the part, my warehouse it telling me they might have missed correcting the label on this one.
So, the problem appears to have been mis-boxed rotors from the factory that may have not been 100% completely corrected at the warehouse. As you might imagine, it's very difficult to track this stuff when the manufacturer sends you parts in the wrong boxes!

Thank you for your patience and continued support,

Wayne
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-11-2011, 03:06 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

More info: I have confirmed that the part was mis-marked by the supplier. Therefore new, *corrected* stickers were placed over the incorrect Zimmerman factory stickers. If you're looking at the Zimmerman sticker and assuming that the part is incorrect, then I would ask you to please check the part itself, as I believe that it should be correct inside the box - as was relabeled by us.

I just instructed Judy in Customer Service to phone you and explain the situation in person. As per her instructions, please check the rotors in the boxes to make sure that they are indeed left/right. If there is an actual error (instead of just a manufacturer's box error), then we can get a replacement out to you right away today.

-Wayne
Old 07-11-2011, 03:07 PM
nittanyguy1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am impressed when a supplier/manufacturer/etc. posts on here to address a problem. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:42 PM
sandersd
Pro

Originally Posted by nittanyguy1
I am impressed when a supplier/manufacturer/etc. posts on here to address a problem. Thanks.
WOW! Me too. I just spoke with Judy who relayed the info on the mismarked parts. I will say that Pelican, Suncoast, and FVD have all given excellent customer service and it is really appreciated.

Thanks again Wayne.

BTW when I started this thread it wasn't really to flame any suppliers. I was just expressing my frustration (in this case, misplaced). To quote that 'ol favorite:

"If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all,
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"...
Old 07-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think you were flaming anyone, and it is impressive when a supplier responds so quickly with helpful info. Nice.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:20 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As I mentioned to sandersd, it's the way we do things at Pelican. Just another typical day.

-Wayne
Old 07-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Ericginpa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^that is impressive made me a believer
Old 07-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
As I mentioned to sandersd, it's the way we do things at Pelican. Just another typical day.

-Wayne
A bit ironic for me since at the time you were posting this yesterday I was talking to Pelican about a simular problem I am having with a Sachs clutch that is incorrect for my Porsche. I was told I would get a call back yesterday or this morning & I am able to read this thread now because I am still waiting for that call back & I have nothing else to do without the correct clutch!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:01 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
A bit ironic for me since at the time you were posting this yesterday I was talking to Pelican about a simular problem I am having with a Sachs clutch that is incorrect for my Porsche. I was told I would get a call back yesterday or this morning & I am able to read this thread now because I am still waiting for that call back & I have nothing else to do without the correct clutch!
Would this happen to be a 987S clutch not fitting in a 986S? If so, we're still researching it. If not, then send me a PM and I will investigate.

-Wayne
Old 07-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
Would this happen to be a 987S clutch not fitting in a 986S? If so, we're still researching it. If not, then send me a PM and I will investigate.

-Wayne
It is I just ordered another disc Jason promised will ship today so I can have it tomorrow
Old 07-12-2011, 07:24 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I just spoke with Jason. He mentioned that your splined tool fit into both the 986S disc and the 987S disc. If that is the case, then the disc should be correct for your car. I wrote about the 987S / 986S in the book, and this is the first complaint I've heard from anyone that they have had a problem. You mentioned on the phone to Jason that the tool was looser in the 986S disc than the 987S disc - that is normal / typical, as the inner splines of the disc will exhibit wear over the many years of use. The disc is designed to slide on the mainshaft of the transmission, hence there will be wear on the inside of the disc.

We're shipping you a new 987S disc, but I think you will find that the disc coming is identical to the one that you already have. When installing a new clutch, it can be a huge pain to get the transmission spline mated with the disc. It can seem like it's just not going to fit - in reality, the angle needs to be just right, and the whole transmission needs to be wiggled around until it slips in.

Hope this helps,

Wayne

Quick Reply: Ordering parts - it's always something...