Sponsored by:

Coolant Additive

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:30 PM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Coolant Additive

Want to add "Purple Ice" coolant additive but I don't know where I should drain off the required amount so as to not over fill. I guess I thought I knew,but I really don't after reevaluating the situation!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:05 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard of Royal Purple being incompatible with some coolants causing a "royal" gum up in the cooling system. This is well documented in the Mercedes forums. Redline Water Wetter is a better choice and recommended by our sponsors. I use Redline in my cars with no problems and my cars run a few degrees cooler. 996 included.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:09 PM
jdog
Pro

Originally Posted by dennis hiip
I've heard of Royal Purple being incompatible with some coolants causing a "royal" gum up in the cooling system. This is well documented in the Mercedes forums. Redline Water Wetter is a better choice and recommended by our sponsors. I use Redline in my cars with no problems and my cars run a few degrees cooler. 996 included.
I was not aware of this potential hazard. I will confirm with the Manuf. and see what happens. I will also update when I find out.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by jdog
Want to add "Purple Ice" coolant additive but I don't know where I should drain off the required amount so as to not over fill. I guess I thought I knew,but I really don't after reevaluating the situation!
Why add anything?

I know no one cares anymore what Porche has to say on this matter, but from one factory manual I have Porsche says to not mix the coolant with any other coolant.

Just be sure the system is pressure tight (the cap can leak after some time) and I like to change the coolant every 4 to 5 years. Now I have to admit this goes *against* what Porsche says: "The coolant filled in at the factory is intended for lifetime cooling and thus need not be changed."

However, my limited experience is coolant loses some anti-corrosion protection over time and this can work on the water pump seal along with other critical cooling system components. The block will never corrode through but head gaskets, or radiators, or heater cores, even the oil/water heat exchanger can. The radiators, heater core, and the oil/water heat exchanger are made of very thin wall aluminum tubing and do not have much extra thickness to feed the acid that can build up in coolant past is change by date.

I've never used them but if you want you can find/buy a coolant test strip to check the coolant's condition and decide if you want to leave it in service or change it.

My I just every 4 to 5 years change the stuff, well, have it changed, replaced with new anti-freeze and water and the shop uses one of those nifty vacuum systems to ensure no air pockets.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:41 PM
jdog
Pro

Originally Posted by Macster
Why add anything?

I know no one cares anymore what Porche has to say on this matter, but from one factory manual I have Porsche says to not mix the coolant with any other coolant.

Just be sure the system is pressure tight (the cap can leak after some time) and I like to change the coolant every 4 to 5 years. Now I have to admit this goes *against* what Porsche says: "The coolant filled in at the factory is intended for lifetime cooling and thus need not be changed."

However, my limited experience is coolant loses some anti-corrosion protection over time and this can work on the water pump seal along with other critical cooling system components. The block will never corrode through but head gaskets, or radiators, or heater cores, even the oil/water heat exchanger can. The radiators, heater core, and the oil/water heat exchanger are made of very thin wall aluminum tubing and do not have much extra thickness to feed the acid that can build up in coolant past is change by date.

I've never used them but if you want you can find/buy a coolant test strip to check the coolant's condition and decide if you want to leave it in service or change it.

My I just every 4 to 5 years change the stuff, well, have it changed, replaced with new anti-freeze and water and the shop uses one of those nifty vacuum systems to ensure no air pockets.

Sincerely,

Macster.
More than anything to keep it cooler, but I guess I could just put in a lower degree T-stat. I too am not crazy about coolant additives or engine oil additives for that matter, but I thought I could give it a little help to run cooler and lubricate while in there. Might just change the fluid and move on. Thanks

Quick Reply: Coolant Additive