996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

General Pricing Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:29 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because options cost so much when the cars are new, and yet so little when they are used, it is well worth the time to be patient and find a well-optioned car that fits your price/mileage/condition standards. Personally I think full leather is a required option on these cars to make the interior quality match the price/value. I did not look at cars without full leather, Bose and bi-xenons. The one I eventually found also had PSM.

That's great info. What's the reason that everybody wants the bi-xenons? It seems to be highly desirable but I don't know why. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:30 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter 642 - is this a misprint in that a C2 and a C4 carry the identical values?
Old 07-08-2011, 03:32 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Because options cost so much when the cars are new, and yet so little when they are used, it is well worth the time to be patient and find a well-optioned car that fits your price/mileage/condition standards. Personally I think full leather is a required option on these cars to make the interior quality match the price/value. I did not look at cars without full leather, Bose and bi-xenons. The one I eventually found also had PSM.

That's great info. What's the reason that everybody wants the bi-xenons? It seems to be highly desirable but I don't know why. Thanks in advance.
They are visually more appealing and provide better/more light for night driving.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:38 PM
silotwo
Banned

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy

Superb illumination - my wife had a Lexus with them and the first night I drove it my thought was wow, got to have them on my next car. My olds does not have them and when I do drive it I catch myself checking to make sure my headlights are on
Old 07-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Peter 642
Racer

misprint?
John, it may be. Edited post to state just that. Good catch.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Kharz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a high mileage car because I will only drive 2-3k miles per year; so I am not worried about getting it too high. It is a 2005 C4S with 80k miles that I bought for $35k and came with a CPO ... only one previous owner, serviced at the local P-car dealer since day 1 and it was in great shape.

Its basically what you are looking for and what works with your budget. I do like the CPo though ...
Old 07-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread has been extremely helpful. Thanks to everyone who responded! It really helps put things into perspective.

A few quick responses to some of the comments:

Originally Posted by Peter 642
IIRC, you did a bit of work and price for this type of car was about $35K or more, because of the cab. That would seem reasonable for a low-mileage car (30K).
Most of my research was on '02 models but none on CPO'd cars.

For what it's worth, if you don't want AWD you can spend $45K on a 997, but you'll obviously lose the cab, which IIRC was important to you.
Right, but a Cab isn't just important -- it's actually what I'm looking for.

I find Excellence magazine to be realistic on what real-world prices are.
I checked Excellence's prices this evening and WOW are they low (almost artificially so) compared to even what NADA is saying. I know, patience....

Originally Posted by soverystout
And I tend to think that the mileage "money bump" for lower mileage cars within NADA is extreme. I don't believe that the 2 cars the OP referenced are worth anything north of $40K. That's absurd.
I kind of feel that way regarding the NADA bump, as well, but I do think there is some additional value to finding a low mileage car vs. one with 80K on the clock. As for price, If I could get a well optioned, low mileage 2004 CPO'd C4S Cab for $40K, I think I'd be very happy.

Originally Posted by silotwo
Superb illumination - my wife had a Lexus with them and the first night I drove it my thought was wow, got to have them on my next car. My olds does not have them and when I do drive it I catch myself checking to make sure my headlights are on
Just know one thing regarding Bi-Xenons: They are not all created equally. When I bought my 2005 S60R, I was expecting illumination on par with my 2002 TT Quattro Roadster. The low beams were on par with what I expected from a decent set of headlights, however, the high beams are among the worst I've ever seen on ANY car. Rather than taking the EU model lamps originally outfitted on the car, Volvo decided to modify the cluster for the North American market such that the headlight only moves the xenon light upward to expand the scope of illumination rather than also illuminating a 2nd bulb or doing anything to increase output. The result is rather frightening, especially in areas without a lot of ambient light. Of course, this has nothing to do with the light on a 911...but just keep in mind that not all bi-xenon headlights are great.

As for my search, my biggest problem right now is in locating cars. The options are pretty slim!

-Eric
Old 07-10-2011, 12:42 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think high $40ks is too much even with CPO. My only opinion to you is be patient. Find the car you like and pay what you want to pay. Just make them an offer. You never know what they will say, right? I have not bought from a dealer in a few years now, but my last non Porsche purchase (BMW M3) I offered $5k under asking and got the car for $4500 under with CPO. I was a few thousands under KBB and NADA at that time. Car was on their lot for less than 2 weeks. Oh, I came in to the dealer 1 hour before they closed and stayed until they say YES to me...
Old 07-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the CPO'd '04 C4 Cab was traded between dealers for several months and has been on this particular dealer's lot since MARCH! The exterior color isn't my first choice but I am intrigued by the car (maybe the dearth of market options is influencing that). I originally emailed them about another car on their lot but there was a deposit recently put on it. They brought this one to my attention. I sent the salesperson a note telling them that it isn't worth considering unless they can get closer to $36K. I quoted NADA, Excellence and told them that I'm aware of the car's recent history of sitting on their lots for months. It was a ballsy note but I've got nothing to lose.

-Eric
Old 07-11-2011, 05:49 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
Rather than taking the EU model lamps originally outfitted on the car, Volvo decided to modify the cluster for the North American market such that the headlight only moves the xenon light upward to expand the scope of illumination rather than also illuminating a 2nd bulb or doing anything to increase output.
This is how all Bi-Xenon's work. They only have 1 bulb and a motor that moves a light shield slightly up when in high beam mode. However there is a difference in projector design/optical quality and that is what makes some better than others.

Quick Reply: General Pricing Confusion