996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche Junior baby seat -- $950!...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 04:37 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Porsche Junior baby seat -- $950!...

We have a 6week old daughter, and I'd like to get set up to carry her in the 911 on occasion.
I searched the archives, and it looks like I can either buy the Porsche seat, or buy the airbag deactivation bar, and another infant seat that "will fit".

$900 for a baby seat seems like robbery. Can anyone answer a couple questions:
1) does the Porsche seat make use of LATCH connectors, or do you have to use the front seatbelt somehow? I vastly prefer the latch system...
2) are there any particular models of seats that people prefer (other than the Porsche seat)? I've heard people say good things about Britax. Any particular model of Britax?
3) Do any of the non-Porsche brand seats have the buckle the Porsche seat uses to deactivate the seat?

Thanks any/all advice appreciated. Keep me away from trading the 911 on an SUV!
Old 01-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Once AGAIN, Porsche being very PROUD of their product. I am sure there is one out there. Good luck...

Chad
Old 01-24-2005, 05:07 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Britax makes the Porsche child seats
Old 01-24-2005, 05:15 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Originally Posted by jb26jb
Britax makes the Porsche child seats
Right, but can you go buy "britax model #x" at babies r us, and save $300?
Old 01-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Its not quite as you stated, "buy the deactivation bar and find a seat that fits". I just went through this, albeit for a seat for a larger, 4 yr old. Here's what I learned:

1. I bought the Zoom / Comfy, including deactivation bar, for $380. It is still available from 3rd parties, but you might have a hard time finding it at a dealer, as the new line is now out. Its also available on Ebay. There is one there now that has reached a bid of $100.

2. You need the deactivation bar, PLUS the male buckle half that is attached to the Porsche child seat like a submarine strap. It is the insertion of this male buckle into the female one on the deactivation bar that signals the car to turn off the pax air bag. (after car is programmed).

3. If you find a deactivation bar and ANY Porsche seat, you can easily remove the male buckle from that Porsche seat and use it with the baby seat of your choice. I can't imagine that any standard baby seat would not buckle into the Porsche front seat harness.

4. The actual attachment of the male buckle to the child seat is not a factor, except as a reminder to plug it into the deactivation bar.

If this is not clear, or if you find one and wish to profit from my efforts in figuring out where the Porsche TSB is not correct regarding installation of the deactivation bar, just drop me a PM. I will be happy to supply an email address and/or phone number.

Kim
Old 01-24-2005, 08:48 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put the seat in the back and you won't need to deactivate the front airbags. Britax zoom is the most popular one and there is one on ebay. Airbag deactivation requires dealer to do, which will undoubtly cost you some money and hassle. Most aftermarket booster won't fit in back of 996. Perhaps you can search "Britax" and find review of the few models. Toys R Us doesn't usually have Britax. I think they are around $450-600 range which is getting close to Porsche seats. What a rip off indeed.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:22 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Note that it has to be front-seat rear-facing only for at least the first year...

Also, Kim, when mounted in the front seat, is the infantseat strapped down with the front seat seatbelt, or with the LATCH system?

Thanks again,
Scott.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:29 PM
bavarian
Instructor

I found the Britax seat which fits both the Mercedes and Porsche on Ebay for about $150.00. It includes an electronic sensor which deactivates the front airbag in the SL500, but also has a snap-in device for Porsche airbag deactivation. (I'm not sure but I think they are called Britax Baby Safe). The good thing about these seats is also the fact that they are narrow enough to fit in the back seats of the 996, even after your kid is bigger, and you only need the bottom part as a booster. You should definitely hold off and not overpay for the OEM part.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Ekename
Pro

I have a Britax (which I highly recommend) and it fits in the back seat in the upright position. Can't say about the rearfacing. Even if it fit you might need to be a bit of a contortionist to get the baby in.

Good luck.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

"Also, Kim, when mounted in the front seat, is the infantseat strapped down with the front seat seatbelt, or with the LATCH system?"

Scott,

The child seat operates normally in every respect EXCEPT for the extra male buckle plugging into the deactivation bar to signal the airbag to turn off. Therefore, one can use any baby/child seat that will physically strap into the Porsche using the car's harness. I assume this includes almost any seat. There is no "latch system" that I am aware of with the Porsche Zoom.

Because I have 4 grandchildren, only two of whom can fit into the Zoom seat, I have detached the deactivating buckle from the Zoom seat, and keep it in the door pocket. When the older kids get in the pax seat using their booster seats, I take the buckle out of the door and plug it into the deactivation bar, just as I do when I use the original Porsche Zoom.

The only advantage of having it attached to the Porsche seat is that one is less likely to forget to insert or remove it when using / not using the car seat.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:15 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Hopefully final question for you guys: Is the male buckle that goes into the deactivation latch the *same as the male buckle on the seatbelt"? If so, I can:
- buy the deactivation bar from Gert for $90(EUR)
- source a male buckle from a junkyard
- use any child seat I like (like the one we've already got for our Audi

Thanks again,
Scott.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:05 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 583 Posts

I have Britax Marathon front facing in the rear seat behind the passenger. It is actually quite easy with the front seat moved a bit forward to get my son in and out. And a passenger can ride; albeit cramped. You could go rear facing with it 'till 20lbs, but that would probably rule out anyone in the passenger seat. Either way I would steer clear of the front seat/airbag scenario; expensive and troublesome.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:22 PM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

I used this one maybe 8 times at most.

I'll sell it if you want it.
PM me if interested.

Old 01-30-2005, 06:25 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

The buckle is different. What I did was get the cheapest deactivation bar and seat combo from Porsche. At the time, it was the booster seat. That way, Porsche will install the bar as a warranty item. Then, you remove the buckle and use it with whatever seat you like (like another Britax we got used for $100). You just have to be absolutely religious to remember to plug in the buckle when you have the child seat in.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Hopefully final question for you guys: Is the male buckle that goes into the deactivation latch the *same as the male buckle on the seatbelt"? If so, I can:
- buy the deactivation bar from Gert for $90(EUR)
- source a male buckle from a junkyard
- use any child seat I like (like the one we've already got for our Audi

Thanks again,
Scott.
Scott, as someone has already replied, the male buckle that inserts into the deactivation bar is NOT a standard buckle. That was the first thing I (and most of us, I imagine) thought of ... but, clearly, Porsche thought of it, too.

As someone else also points out, IF you remove the deactivation buckle from a Porsche seat in order to use it in conjunction with another brand seat, I urge you to find someway to remind yourself to insert it when needed. If you use it with a single seat, you can simply attach the strap and buckle to THAT seat in the same manner Porsche does (screw it to the bottom of the seat). That way, it will hang down and be hard to miss. Since I use it with multiple child seats, I have attached a length of bright red seat belt webbing to each, so that the reminder effect is the same.

It is not so difficult to remember to remove the deactivation buckle. Your airbag light will flash for 60 seconds each time you start the car with it inserted.

Quick Reply: Porsche Junior baby seat -- $950!...